Recovering deleted e-mail from outlook

Discussion in 'Software' started by Boycie, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

My boss has just asked me to see if i can recover some e-mails that were deleted some time ago from Outlook Express 6 (POP).
    It looks like the mail went from inbox to another folder (within Outlook) and then deleted. After x amount of time the deleted folder would then have been deleted. :blink

The first "google" took me to MS. Reading through the whole article it mentioned half way down exchange which we don't have. I found the same reg hack looking through various sites that only mentioned it for a client. After backing up the registry I gave it a go. Didn't work :oops:

Several sites mention "recover deleted items" in the tools folder before you do the hack which can recover mail that was deleted up to 14 days ago. This is not something on ours?!
    In any case the mail i am looking for was probably deleted months ago...

Anyone got any ideas? I am in the process of trying to find the .dbx or .pst to see if XP's "little dog" can find anything!

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

If it were an exchange system then there is a chance that it could be still on the server, However as it's using a POP mail box then Ithink that you may be out of luck. :(

3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Si,

Thanks for the quick reply. I think you are right. :(
    I will let you know if i find anything. Shame as i was hoping for a few brownie points....

4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

You could try and see if you are able to access the account through webmail?

You never know. Just because it was deleted locally doesn't mean that it couldn't still be out there somewhere. :blink

5. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I think you are defo out of luck on this one Boyce. If it was Outlook rather than Outlook express there may be a possibility (the archive.pst file?). But once they are gone from the deleted items folder, as far as I am aware it's just the same as deleting any other file. And given that the file for deleted items overwrites itself, I think the chances are between slim and none you will get anything back.

Tip off the authorities* that terrorist cell information was contained in the emails from 6months ago and let MI5 have a crack at getting them back.

*This method could lead to you and / or your boss serving hard time without trial for an undefined period.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Just a though, but if this email was important might he not have forwarded it on to someone? If this is the case then it may be in his sent items, because as far as I know you have to manually clear these out.

8)

7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Guys,

Thanks for all your input on this- appreciated :thumbleft

No, unfortunately, the e-mails we are looking for were not forwarded or printed. :(

As we use POP we are snookered at the ISP end too :(

Looks like Boyce needs to re-vamp the e-mail setup here :biggrin

8. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

There's an intersting article in the TechNET magazine on recovering email.

1) Check out C:\Program Files\Common Files\System. Find either the \MSMAPI or \Mapi folder. Open the \1033 folder in here and you can use scanpst.exe or scanost.exe which scan and repair .pos or .ost files respectively. Make sure you choose the option to create a backup file.
    You can look through the recovered version to find the 'lost and found' file. This contains all the items which could be recovered.

If you still can't find it, copy the backup file to a new files with a .pst extension. Open the profile containing the .pst file that you've just tried to recover. Import the backup you've just renamed.
    File > Import and Export > Import from another program.
    Select Personal Folder File.
    Select the file.
    Select all the folders are selected.

Sounds like a long shot. It may help recover corrupted emails but I'm not sure it will work for deleted ones. Mind you, you'll look dead clever while you're doing it.

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD