Recommended Learning Provider for CompTIA A+ Network+ and Security+

Discussion in 'General CompTIA Certifications' started by lewisb, Jan 18, 2016.

?

How did you study for your CompTIA certifications?

1. Learning Provider (self-study)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Residential Training (e.g. Firebrand)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Self-study (books, online videos)

100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. lewisb

lewisb New Member

I am looking for a reputable training provider for the above courses. One that has stood out has been The Learning People.. I've been looking at their Premium Cyber Security Collection.

As all these courses are mostly just distance learning through videos, why are they so expensive? I was quoted around £2000 including exam fees.

I also like the look of CompTIAs CertMaster. It seems pretty intelligent at adjusting the questions it asks you to your knowledge.

What would you recommend?

2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I would recommend grabbing some books and start reading for the CompTIA exams rather than paying for training material, this is one of the few certifications that I would recommend doing that for instead of attending courses.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. Guvnor

Guvnor Nibble Poster

Professor Messer's vids are available for free on YouTube, get yourself some books and keep an eye on the forum for the next udemy sale as you can pick up courses for a tenner.

No need to fork out 2000£, save that for later. I'm also self studying for the course currently.

4. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

The Mike Meyers book for Sec+ is good if you want to self study.

5. lewisb

lewisb New Member

Thanks both of you for your feedback! I’m gonna buy Sec+, Network+ and Server+ when I have the funds. Right now I’ve got to get up to speed on Java and software development in general. Can you recommend a solid, clear and concise introductory book?