recommendation for the Security+ exam

Discussion in 'Security+' started by Molivier, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I think you are missing the point here. TK is not the same as using past papers for GCSE. The primary difference is that the SQA (or whatever the english equivalent - the exam board for GCSE's) choose to release their past papers for general use. They allow students to use them as practice. Thus using them is not cheating.

Certification vendors do not choose to allow people to have access to their exam questions. Part of the conditions of use you sign when you sit the exam states that you are not permitted to use 'live' questions from their question database.

The main reason for this, is that Certification vendors keep using their questions. They are used over and over again on a daily basis. GCSE, etc, exams tend to be rewritten every year - mainly because the exam is sat on one day every year, rather than every day of the year like certification exams.

On a high level overview (ignoring the legality), I agree with you. Using past exams as an aide to studying can be of much use, exactly like it was in school. But thats irrelevant. Its cheating, because the exam vendor says its cheating. Whether you like it or not, using TK is cheating. End. Of. Story. If you dont like it, tough! The people who provide your certification say that thats the case. If you dont like it, dont sit their exams.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Revision or not, if you cannot score high enough in the tests then you have gaps in your knowledge, and failing an exam is better so you know what gaps to fill.

Thats how we learn, from failiure, not from memorising test questions

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  3. llcooljsl

llcooljsl Bit Poster

yeah i agree with the point about gaps in knowledge, I don't just want to pass I want to be able to know my stuff and do the job and do it well.

So in that sense yeah I agree leaning too hard on a resource such as TK would perhaps lead me to bridge gaps in my knowledge rather than filling them.

Thanks for the replies

Certifications: A+ Net+ Sec+ MCP MCTS MCSA:Security MCSE CSSA CCNA
    WIP: MCITP: EA
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

you shouldn't use it full stop, if the books and the practice you are putting in isn't working get some other books and do more practice.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Leaning AT ALL, even a little bit, on a resource such as TK enables you to pass when you otherwise wouldn't be able to otherwise. If you believe you WOULD be able to pass without TK, then that's quite easy to prove: don't use braindumps.

There is no justification for using braindumps. At all. Not even if "you already know your stuff".

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Finkenstein

Finkenstein Kilobyte Poster

I agree about the braindumps... if you know your stuff, you will pass and are worthy of EARNing that certification.

I once worked with a guy that braindumped his way through his MCSE. Of course when it came time to apply the knowledge he was hired for, he failed miserably. I was still studying for my MCSE at the time (NT4.0) and was only 2 tests away. I knew way more than he did, and he usually ended up doing more harm than good.

Stay away from them! You'll be thankful in the long run when someone puts you on the spot and you don't know what to do.

Certifications: MCP, Network+, CCENT, ITIL v3
    WIP: 640-822
  7. Spidey76

Spidey76 Bit Poster

The biggest problem with braindumps is that a lot of the answers are wrong. Ofcourse you wouldn't know that if one was simply memorising the answers. Also you get into the trap of having a false sense of reality expecting the same questions to appear in the exam and when they don't your mental faculty hasn't been trained to analyse and apply the knowledge you could have attained from books & experiance. Not a nice situation to be in!

8. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Necropost FTW!

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present