Recomendations

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by fgaughan, Jan 19, 2005.

1. fgaughan

fgaughan Bit Poster

I am on Cisco Networking Academy Program with hull college
    6 hours per week its an 1 hour and 45 minutes drive from where i live thats dedication for ya!
    i am the only 1 on that course who is unemployed so i may have a slight advantage as i have more time to study
    so the question is which books should i look for?
    and any links that you found helpfull in studying?

anyone know where i should look for binary code (searched on google but some of it a bit confusing) :eek:

Fintan

WIP: CCNA
  2. Jonathan

Jonathan Nibble Poster

I'm using the sybex book and the Cisco press ones.

Are you stuck with Binary conversion ?

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNP BSCI
  3. fgaughan

fgaughan Bit Poster

Yes
    i sort of quite understand it :blink
    need to read more to be sure that i fully understand it
    Did it before last year but all forgotten now as it was not use in exams
    but i know it will be asked in CCNA exam :eek:

Fintan

WIP: CCNA
  4. Jonathan

Jonathan Nibble Poster

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNP BSCI
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

When I took the cisco netacademy, they provided the books and engineering journals. I also borrowed a copy of the Wendell Odom book from another one of my instructors (he writes some of the CCNA test content) which helped alot to pull all the concepts together. I supplemented with the Sybex book as well.

As far as converting binary, I'm afraid you just have to practice. I was terrified of it at first but you get used to it. The real problem is time. When you are taking the exam, you don't have alot of time to mess around converting binary to decimal. Fortunately, you are allowed scratch paper and a pencil and can write down notes from memory before the exam. Just write down:

256 128 64 32 16 8 4 2 1

to give you a memory job once the exam is underway and you are stressed out of your mind. :P

I also made up binary work sheets and practiced, practiced, practiced until I got better at it.

Good luck on your studies.

Certifications: A+ and Network+