Ready for MCDST exam (I think)

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by dsmith1984uk, Feb 14, 2008.

1. dsmith1984uk

dsmith1984uk New Member

I feel I'm ready for my MCDST exam. However I'm a little concerned. I have only used one book to study (Sybex MCDST).
    The questions on the CD are easy but I'm wondering, is it because ive done the exams so many times or do I really know the subjects? If the questions were worded differently would I know the answer.
    Will I be able to get away with only studying from Sybex.
    Problem is I don't think I have enough time to study another book. I have 5 weeks until a job becomes available above me and if I don't have an MCDST I cannot apply.

Has anyone passed the exam by just studying sybex MCDST?
    Also how can I book my exam? I was told by my boss I can do it online but I cannot find a website.

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome

If you have been doing the same practice exams over & over it could be that you are just remembering the questions from the previous time.

To book the exam you visit prometric.com and register then pay for exam with a credit card/debit card or voucher if you have one (you'll find your nearest test centre on the site). Then you take the exam on the day you have booked it for.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

You can go to the Prometric site and create an account . Then you can book your exam through them.

As for the book thing, usually we recommend having at least 2 books but the sybex books are very good. Try picking up an exam cram book for the 2 exams. The MS Press book might be a little too much in the time you have left.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  4. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

I would never say use only one source for the learning material.
    If you feel you are comfortable with the materials from the book, and don't want to read another, try different practice exams. The more unique exams you test with, the better prepared you will be.
    - Gets away from memorizing the questions/answers
    - You get used to seeing the same types of questions worded differently
    - Your weak points get exposed
    - You take in the information in a different way (forces to use additional learning ‘senses’)

5. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

Pretty good advice there Sunn :)

I'm currently studying for the 70-271 with the Micro$oft "self paced Training Kit". When I've read it through once I plan to get the Sybex book and read that as well.

From experience, it's very helpful to me to do it this way as different sources often teach a subject a different way, which helps to both reinforce what you know or to understand points you are struggling to understand.

Having the second book also gives a further pool of practice questions and that is always useful:biggrin

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  6. DAVID ARROWSMITH

DAVID ARROWSMITH Nibble Poster

hello, i too have studied from the sybex book and i do not want to worry you but there is not enough info in the book and cd to pass the exam. i also have the microsft self paced training book and there is a big difference in detail when you compare the books. good luck with your exam though.

Certifications: a plus
    WIP: exam 70-620 windows vista
  7. thewrinklyninja

thewrinklyninja New Member

I used the MS Press book for 70-271 and the Transcender exam pack for it. The flash cards are very handy.

Certifications: MCP
    WIP: MCDST
  8. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I have to say that I passed the MCDST by just studying from the Sybex book.

However please be aware that I was already an MCSA when I did the MCDST - but I have to say that the MCDST tests different topics/subjects than the MCSA. Added to that, I already had quite a few years supporting XP anyway.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security