RDP log off or disconnect?

Discussion in 'Software' started by twizzle, Oct 7, 2010.

1. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

We're using RDP to access client PCs and theres been some discussion on whether we should log off from RDp or just disconnect. I know if you disconnect it keeps teh seesion alive with all apps you ran that session, while log off stops the apps etc. What i've never been sure of is that if i log off, it dosent stop any client apps running already? i dont want to find that i log off and the clients web admin software and sql database stops. Now one of my collegues says yes another says no. I think its a no it dosent as well.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

It will depend on whether these are configured as services to start up with the system or whether you launch them every time you log onto the system with an RDP session.

By rights these should all be configured to run as a service because there's no telling how long it would take to log onto a machine to start the process manually if the machine is rebooted.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. Slipmatt

Slipmatt Bit Poster

Servers will have limits to the number of users that can be connected at any one time. My boss is always leaving his session open meaning I cannot remote in! Logging off means someone else can use your slot.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
    Certifications: None
    WIP: CompTIA A+
  4. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Configure your policies for RDP, I normally roll with the following:

- Active Session but no actvitiy 2 hours (to allow for lunch breaks).
    - Disconnected Sessions 15 minutes

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5