RAM Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rachael_B, Mar 5, 2009.

1. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

So you are saying you don't know about timings,and simply bought the ram because it sounded better?

I know it looks like i'm trying to prove a point,but whichever answer you give shows your knowledge on this subject.

One of the first steps in troubleshooting,work out what a person already knows.

Certifications: A+ and MCDST 70-271
    WIP: mcdst 272
  2. Rachael_B

Rachael_B Nibble Poster

I had a budget to spend on RAM (I needed to buy another set of 2x2GB RAM anyway) - my aim was to get the best RAM I could within that budget . I found the crucuial ballistix, ran a test on the crucial website which confirmed it was compatible with my MoBo. The reviews on the RAM were positive, and the timings were better than my current RAM (added bonus ).I dont profess to know everything about RAM timings - something I will learn over the next new weeks, but I'm not sure why I feel i am being berated for putting RAM with better timings in my system - I feel like I should never have posted in the first place now.

Anyway thanks for all the input it is appreciated. My system is now running perfectly as before. I'll ensure I think long and hard about any future posts.....

Certifications: A+, ITIL v3 Fdn, Network+
    WIP: 70-680, 70-685
  3. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

I was not trying to have at go at you,but you were sending out different signals,so much so you were a pc expert one minute,and a novice the next,so how can anyone be helped in this situation?
    Someone who knows about timings isn't an average beginner.

You'll see as part of your A+ training they mention frequently,judge the experience of the caller,and give them advice based on their experience.

For all i know you could be doing the A+ with 10 years solid experience behind you,the only way of knowing any different is by reading.

Certifications: A+ and MCDST 70-271
    WIP: mcdst 272