RAM performance

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by brizzoluk, Oct 5, 2008.

1. brizzoluk

brizzoluk Kilobyte Poster

ok i have installed and run the Ccleaner prog and disabled the indexer and it does seem to be a bit better :)
    I have established that the speed of my old ram is 667MHz CL-5
    I cant find the speed of my new ram but it is CL-4 which is faster than CL-5 right?
    here is my new ram
    http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/partspecs.aspx?IMODULE=CT2KIT25664AA53E
    i cant see the speed of it anywhere though?

Certifications: ECDL, A+
    WIP: Network+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Your new ram is 533MHz, it's after the bit that say PC2-4200 DDR2-533 this ram is slower than the 667MHz ram you said you used to have.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

http://www.crucial.com/uk/support/memory_speeds.aspx

Yep, certainly sounds like you might have downgraded your RAM speed ! :D

I'm not an expert on such things but faster memory seems to often have a slower CAS rating because since each cycle is faster it takes more cycles to process the commands. Since CAS latency is measured in cycles a small difference between memory at difference speeds is not really indicative of speed. CAS latency isn't that important a factor in general.

From the crucial site :-

4. brizzoluk

oh darn it would you adam and eve it!
    so i might as well put my old ram back in then, just one thing though, the CL rating what does that mean because i read that the lower the number the faster the ram? obviously not true in my case then!

5. brizzoluk

well thanks for all your help guys we got there in the end! :D
    now....does anyone want to buy some super duper new ram i have? its really fast, honest!! :tune

6. greenbrucelee

The higher the frequency (that the megahertz MHz bit) the lower the latency is good(that's the CL or set of numbers like 5-5-5-15 bit) 4 is better than 5 but with a lower frequency.

Currently I am running 2 x 2GB RAM running at 1066MHz at 5-5-5-15 where as in my older system I was running 2 x 1GB at 667MHz at 2-2-2-12. If you see the figures my new ram has a higher frequency and the latency is very low that will outperform my older ram.

Hope that makes sense

7. greenbrucelee

keep it as spare in case you upgrade your mobo or your other ram dies

8. greenbrucelee

You might like to get in touch with crucial & tell them you went for some ram that was specified by their advisor tool and you bought a slower type and see if they will exchange it or something.

9. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

No this is incorrect, a CAS rating of 2 would be better than a rating of 5 on memory of the same speed.

Its LATENCY, say I want to run across the road, I can sprint in 2 secs or I can go get in my car and drive, the cars slower because of the latency of getting in, putting on my seatbelt, getting my keys, etc.

Does that mean I'd run 20 miles to work rather than drive ? No, once the latency is overcome the car has a higher speed rating.

With CAS the latency is measured as a factor of the clock speed, so in real terms a higher CAS number may be faster or not than a lower CAS number of RAM with a lower speed, you'd have to do the math. Either way in general the latency is not biggest issue if you have sustained transfer of data.

10. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Good point. Ring up and see if they'll offer a replacement/refund.

If it's within their 14/28 day etc period then they may just do it for you :)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  11. greenbrucelee

I thought if the ram was the same MHz then the lowest latency was the best but if the MHz was higher and the latency quite low then that would outperform the other.

12. brizzoluk

I will try but i bought it 2 months ago so i doubt they will exchange it but its worth a try
    their customer service is very good so i might be able to talk them into exchanging it for a nice cpu :biggrin

13. greenbrucelee

and I'll win the euro lottery tonight :p:twisted:

14. brizzoluk

Excellent you can buy me a new cpu with your winnings then :cheers

15. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Agreed, the RAM speed is the important factor, your newer memory has a higher or worse CAS rating, but it does not matter because its still faster because the RAM operates at higher clock speed.

Say I've got a bike does 1 Mile Per hour and a car does 1 Mile per minute.
    See their speeds are different becaue the clock frequency is different.
    1 Mile per minute = 60 MPH, car is 60x faster.

If I create a latency fator (like CAS) of x per cycle, say 2 for bike, 5 for car.

Latency for bike 2*1 hour = 2 hours
    Latency for car 5*1 minute = 5 minutes

5 minutes is much less than latency of 2 hours, the speed had a bigger effect than the factor.

Of course this is all rather approximate and the end result would depend exactly on the variables chosen, for small differences in speed CAS would become more relevant.

16. greenbrucelee

On a side note: I am actually selling my old PC, it's an Intel core 2 duo 2.1GHz, Asus P5NE-Sli mobo, 2GB RAM, MSI 8600GT, 250GB hard drive and 17" monitor, mouse and keyboard, 700W PSU

17. brizzoluk

I'll swap it for my old pc
    HP Pavilion
    windows ME
    intel celeron 566 MHz cpu
    20GB hard drive
    etc etc...:twisted:

18. greenbrucelee

your running ME :blink, upgrade now atleast the OS anyway and the hard drive oh yeah and the rest of it:p

Anyway a curry seems to be calling me from the take away down the road, back later

19. brizzoluk

Note i did say its my old pc im certainly not using that relic anymore its just for playing with and practising my skills on as i learn them, i have upgraded to XP, installed an additional 40GB hard drive and upgraded the cpu to a pentium 3 800MHz, its still rubbish but good to play about with as it doesnt matter if i blow it up!!

20. brizzoluk

Hi guys i have had a result from crucial!!
    I have been in touch and after a couple of emails explaining my situation they have agreed to exchange it even though i bought it 2 months ago!
    what a great company!!#
    so my next question can somebody please advise me on which ram to exchange it for?
    my current system...

OS - Vista home premium 32 bit
    mobo - Foxconn 45GM
    cpu - intel core 2 duo E4500 2.2GHz
    chip set - intel 945G
    RAM - 2GB 240 pin DDR2 SDRam unbuffered, non-ecc 667MHz
    psu - corsair VX 450w
    graphics card - Radeon HD3650
    HardDrive - 250GB

I want to upgrade to 4GB i realise my system wont use it all being 32 bit but in case i upgrade to 64 bit in the future i want to have the max memory i can, i also want to get faster ram than i currently have but i dont know how fast i can go with it really?

p.s sorry for dragging up an old thread