RAM Indexed guide?

Discussion in 'A+' started by mikehende, May 8, 2006.

1. mikehende

mikehende Kilobyte Poster

Thanks for confirming Harry.

2. mikehende

mikehende Kilobyte Poster

Next question [surprised?] anyone, I tried the MEMTEST but this takes a while to give results and I do understand that this gives "thorough" results but what happens if you go to someone's home to check their memory so you don't have all that time to wait for results? Do you have some other utility that can tell you quickly if the memory is fault-free?

3. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

I've seen a few scattered about the web,but they all take a fair while to do a thorough test.

In your scenario you would ideally have the option to swap out suspected faulty RAM modules if that was the case.In a 'time is money' situation this would make sense and using MEMTEST and the like simply wouldn't be a viable option for your customers financial prowess and your reputation!

Symptoms produced by faulty RAM are numerous and in many cases intermittent,so if you've changed a stick of RAM and cured the problem you've completed the repair (obviously),eveyones happy and off you trot to the next job.However,should the offending machine continue to fail at least you've ruled out a possible major cause,retained a working stick of RAM and have a much clearer approach at the problem.

Hope this helps..gotta go..I'm late for work..DOH!! :biggrin

Certifications: A+ Network+
  4. steveh2001

steveh2001 Byte Poster

Cheers for the guide!

Just finished ram - about to do the questions, but glanced at them and there all number of pins questions!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Printing this off and going over it thoroughly before trying the q's :D

Certifications: A+,N+,CommVault,MCSA/MCSE 2003,VCP 4.1.
    WIP: ?