Ram detection

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by afusco86, Mar 20, 2007.

1. afusco86

afusco86 Bit Poster

hi guys, how you doing?

i need to upgrade the ram memory on an old laptop. it's a toshiba satellite 1110.

stupidly (or not) i read the laptop's manual and then bought the memory.
    standing at wot the manual says you would think that all the laptop series 1110 have a PC133 144-pin memory (3.3 volt).

the problem is that i've got a piece that wouldn't fit in this laptops slot (the position of the notch on the memory doesnt match the notch on the slot), i assume it's about a different number of pins?? now:

-the above manual is for the whole 1110 series (how do i know what model i've got in my hands now? there's nothing at the bottom like labels or anything)

-i had a look at the memory bank which is already inside the laptop and it says PC2100:blink

-on toshiba's website, in support there's only one 1110 model of the laptop available and it says its got a PC1600 200-pin type of memory:eek:

which one do you think it's the right one? i tried an hardware detection tool, but it wudnt say anything about pins number and stuff. do you know of any good detection tool?

obviously now i cant return the piece to the seller cos it looks like it was my mistake.. wot shall i do?

tnx a lot in advance

WIP: A+
  2. mondos

mondos Kilobyte Poster

crucial.co.uk or .com scans your system tells you what you need for ram upgrades or replacement.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+, MCDST and finding a job!
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Everything I've found online says that you can install a maximum of two 256-MB PC2100 200-pin non-ECC SODIMMs (PC2700 should also work).

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

The position of the notch indicates what type of memory it uses. See explaination here.

Have a look and see if this is the problem. In my view any decent memory vendor will take the memory back and supply the correct item.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. afusco86

afusco86 Bit Poster

cool, that helped a lot, thank you very much!!!

WIP: A+