Raise my spirit for the IT sector please

Discussion in 'A+' started by Ellis, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Ellis

Ellis Bit Poster

I would say im nearly ready for my A+ exams but I have been reading about people who are already in the IT sector and basically don't recommend it, this has put me down:(. Basically I love computers it's all I do in my spare time, I love learning all the new tech that comes out, it is my hobby, so why not do what I enjoy right?, well it's been said that doing your hobby as a job is not a good thing to do?,: "after 10 years Im screaming to get out", "Im a techophobe out of work", "I no longer enjoy computers, I dislike the sight of them".

The are some of the comments I have been reading and I dont want that to be me!!!, but I want to do this, this is the main thing in my life I enjoy!!!, am I taking this what I read to much to heart to much or does this hold true?.

Maybe I need to read more of people that actually love working with computers?.

Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
    Certifications: A+, 726 NVQ 2 Computers and Electronics.
    WIP: N+ Then Onto MCDST
  2. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

I've been working in IT for about 10 years or so, and like you, love computers and anything that's techie.

IT is also my hobby, and very often I'll get home from work and go straight onto the pc.

I decided to get into IT because I thought I might as well do a job that I enjoy as do one that I dislike.

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  3. Ellis

Ellis Bit Poster

Thanks, can I ask do you still enjoy it after 10 years?, where there any points in time where you questioned looking for another career etc?.

Thing is IT is everything nowadays, everything is computer run, so even if I didn't enjoy my first job in IT my skills would still be transferable, I also enjoy cars too and had a dabble with diagnostics so theres always a branch onto something else if you dont enjoy it.

4. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Yes I still love IT after 10 years. In all that time I have never thought about changing career. IT is what I always wanted to do and now I'm in the industry I plan on staying here.:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  5. Ellis

Ellis Bit Poster

Thankyou, that's good to hear.

6. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

I've not been in IT that long, but THE reason why I decided to go into it was because I enjoy computers/technology in general. I started my A+ because I loved messing around with computers. Once I had completed it I wanted more :p

Essentially- I would rather do a job I love than a job I didn't (even if I got paid less for it).

7. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

I've been in IT for almost ten years. It's my job, hobby and one true love.

What I would say is that I am looking at the possibility of learning to become a trainer, but would definately have to be in IT subjects.

I'm not sure true techies ever lose interest in IT, maybe just focus.

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I had the same fear... so much so that I got a degree in Chemistry. Then I ended up getting an IT job out of necessity - couldn't find a Chemistry job to save my life! To my surprise, I didn't burn out on computers... I STILL enjoy messing with my own PC after I get home.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. jamman32

jamman32 Nibble Poster

I love computers. Since the age of 13 i've been messing around building modding, fixing other peoples

Never thought of it as a career, just as a hobby. All ways worked out of nesesetie to pay the bills.
    I turn 36 next week and think its time to sort my self out and get a job in some thing i enjoy.

Certifications: city & guilds engineering
    WIP: comptia a+ n+/ linux+
  10. miflandia

miflandia Byte Poster

I think(even if i have no experience at all) you do not have to worry about losing your hobby. If you lucky enough and get a job for example as a system administrator you still can fix computers at home just for fun(does not work the other way around(probably)). But there are so many ways to use even a PC, and the IT means much more than a PC. But the other hand, used to i loved driving, since i have to i am not that keen of driving:)
    but maybe because other people tell me where to go. :x:blink

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
    Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  11. Trogdor

Trogdor Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

Couple points on this, the first is that it depends on why people get into the industry in the first place. If you get into it because you genuinely love working with technology, there is no reason why you shouldn't make a career of it; many times people decide to get into IT because they are convinced (often by not-so-ethical training companies) that there is loads of cash to be made in IT straight away then become disillusioned when they realize, as is true with any sector, that it's not the case at the beginning.

The other is that people in general are more likely to take the time to write on a blog, forum, etc. when they have something to complain about. If you are working in the industry and you love your job as much as you did when you first started, the likelihood you are going to tell the world about it is quite low.

So, don't let the "haters" get you down. If you love IT, by all means pursue a career in it.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Server+, PDI+, MCDST, HP APS Server, HP APS Desktop / Laptop
    WIP: ITIL, CCNA, MCSA, and BSc