Problem RAID disk gone?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nugget, Jan 17, 2010.

1. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi all, just wanted a little confirmation here about a problem that has raised its head. I installed Windows 7 last week and then this weekend I have installed some software that required a reboot. upon reboot I saw on the RAID status report in red writing (usually gree) "Error detected" and it took a loooong time to boot. I then went into the RAID setup and saw "degraded" next to one of the disks.

I just wanted confirmation that I think one of my disks in the raid is dead and that I need a new disk and to rebuild the raid.

Despite messing around with servers and raids for the last 5 years, this is the first time I've had a problem.:oops:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Is there an option to rebuild the RAID?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Certainly sounds like a disk has gone. What level of RAID are you running? What make is the controller? Have you got the controller software installed? As Sparky said, if there's a problem with the array, there should be an option to rebuild it (unless it's a quality system - in which case you will probably be able to just plumb a new disk into the bay where the dead disk currently resides and have it rebuild automatically.

I've had horrific luck with RAID recently - not only have I lost a few in home systems over the past year, but at work I've had five servers with RAID failures in the last eighteen months. Finlly got shot of all the old ****e I inherited that was running on Areca/3Ware controllers inside crummy Evesham chassis' now though and (touch wood) everything's been OK since.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
    Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  4. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Nope, no choice to rebuild the raid. Just create, delete and exit.

I forgeot to mention that it's on my home pc with the raid controller being the onboard one on the ASUS motherboard. I have 2 sata disks for the OS running raid 1 and 3 sata disks for the data running raid 5. The problem disk is one in the raid 5 config.

I'll pick myself up another disk tomorrow, put it in and see if it fixes itself automagically.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
  5. Sparky

You might want to try taking out the duff disk and then put it back in. In some cases this can rebuild the RAID array.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
    Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  6. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Whoa - wait - three disks running RAID5? Damn - performance on that array must be dire

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  7. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Sounds like a box I had with the evil nVidia crap ass controller of some sorts, to resolve we had to do something similar to what sparky is suggesting although we had to add the disk back into the array as it droppped it out of it. If it is nVidia get it to feck 8)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
    Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  8. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I take it it's just a case of taking it out, rebooting, shutdown, re-inserting the disk and rebooting again?

Not really worried about the performance mate as it's just used for data storage.

9. Sparky

Yup, you take the disk off-line and then put it back in.

10. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Did this at work last year December when one of our RAID disk on a Dell PowerEdge server went. Funny enough it was back online after a disk scan:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  11. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Just an update. I disconnected the disk completely and the pc seemed to start up at the usual speed. then I reconnected the disk and restarted, took the disk out of the RAID and put it back in. The message then told me that it was now in rebuild status and this would take place within the OS.

I waited overnight without using the pc, restarted and went into the RAID setup and the same messages were there, status is rebuild. Anyway, several restarts, reconfig of the raid (even complete delete and create a new one) doesn't seem to fix anything. The pc takes around 10-15 minutes to boot.

I guess the disk really is knackered and stopping the pc from booting properly so my next move is to srop another one in there and see what happens.:rolleyes: