R6 vegas 2?

Discussion in 'Gamers Hangout' started by IThurts, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Be fair Mike, dont hoard the stats to yourself, give us some links.

The problem is, that you cant just compare a PC to a console. The only thing they have in common is that they both play games. How game development is approached is different between the two, and the experience is different. Technically, a PC will always kick the arse of a console. If nothing else, for the fact that PC's can be upgraded, whereas consoles are always fixed stats.

But thats the biggest advantage of them. From a development point of view, you are dealing with a fixed constant. You know what the specs of the machine are. You know what the base OS is. You can have test rigs with the exact setup that your users are going to use, so you can play with it and push it as hard as you can, but you know if it works on the machines in the lab, its going to work in the real world. PC's just dont have that advantage. You can build a game for a level of gaming rig, and you can try to test it with as many different variations as you can, but budgets are limited, and the possibilities endless. All it could take sometimes, is for someone to have a SCSI DAT drive (im plucking a component out of my ass here) attached to their machine that throws the game for a loop.

Theres nothing better for a developer (and I get this even with just Business Apps) than to develop with a very specific piece of hardware in mind. The entire app can be optimised with that hardware in mind. It can run like a dream on that machine. Start throwing a second piece of hardware into the mix? Yeah I can make it work nearly as well. Need to test it on both rigs for any changes, but its still doable. Start throwing in n configurations, and it becomes impossible to keep it running so well on all systems. You just have to test on a decent number of setups (if you even can/have time to test on more than one config), and hope it works, then deal with whatever fallout occurs.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

*realises it would be pointless to add something right now. might as well just sit back and watch* As you were ladies :biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  3. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

At least you admitted it (in bold).:biggrin I have to say though that you imho cant call it a downfall of the PC in re to it having better hardware capabilities, essentially punishing it for its ability to be a better machine than any console going. Personally, i have yet to buy a game where it didnt work because i had x hardware installed... You buy a decent gaming rig, and it lasts you for probably 3 years...the same amount of time that the 360 might last you until the xbox 720 arrives...so i dont see the issue.

Certifications: BTEC national Diploma Computer Studies
    WIP: See Sig
  4. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

the 360 was released in 2002 :blink, on another note i would love to see what sort of gaming rig you could build for the same price as the current 360

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

That's because you are used to using controllers. Someone who is used to using a keyboard and mouse don't find it unnatural at all. Driving games? No problem... I don't need a steering wheel. Sports? I don't need a button masher. I've got everything I need right here.

What I'm saying is this: when PC players play directly against XBox players using XBox Live, the PC players typically dust the XBox players. Why is that?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. BosonMichael

2002? Looks like November 22, 2005 to me... and quantities were extremely limited.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  7. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

:oops: got the fat and thin xbox mixed up, Yes you are correct but £150 notes for a gaming rig

8. BosonMichael

Just look at any forum where people are discussing PC gamers playing directly against XBox gamers on a multiplayer game. Although I don't play multiplayer myself, I'm guessing Halo 3 (2?) has this capability so that PC gamers can play against XBox gamers. The XBox gamers regularly get toasted.

Yep, that's certainly an advantage for developers. However, I, as a gamer, don't want to be tied to a certain hardware platform that I can't upgrade.

Once a console comes out that you CAN upgrade, and contains keyboard/mouse functionality, I might just have to consider getting one. :hhhmmm

9. BosonMichael

And less than that to turn my "business PC" into a gaming rig with the addition of a $110 video card. At least, that's what my video card cost me about 20 months ago... and I'm playing F.E.A.R. and Bioshock on it.

10. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

sure there is always that but my point was more directed to this comment

:rolleyes: no mention of upgrading, there is no way you can build a brand new rig from scratch that will play the top games for PC(crysis i think although please forgive if this is wrong) for 150 notes

11. BosonMichael

You don't need a brand new rig from scratch. With the exception of Crysis, my six year old rig can play them with a $125 upgrade. And it doesn't need ANYTHING if I keep the settings low.

Besides, you're gonna need a replacement computer every few years ANYWAY, regardless of whether you've got a console or not, for non-gaming stuff. To change that replacement computer to a gaming box, it typically takes a new video card... and that's about it.

12. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

sure YOU can do that but say I'm joe public

What do i do?

a)Open up my system to chuck in my lovely new GFX card

b)Hope one of my friends can do the upgrade

c)Get ripped off at PC World for the upgrade

13. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

i was gonna say...:blink so in light of that...th next xbox comes out when? Next 3 years say? So people spend another £300 on the new one....

a PC grapx card costs what....£150max every 3 years...if that? You do the math :P

14. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

If your PC gaming, then chances are you know what you ar doing in any case. Granted it takes a bit more than plugging in a couple cables as you do with consoles, but i thought it had already been agreed that consoles were more user friendly...:blink Be that the case, you are still giving PC's a negative light where the upgrading and evolution of hardware is concerned...this should be applauded and not looked down upon imho.
    Your argument about the installation of a grapx card is like saying to buy a 360 you should therefore neeed to buy a HDTV to benefit from its capabilities, so how do i know what types of cables to buy for my TV to get the best picture if my tv has not got a x,y or z port? Newbies do not auto know these things you ar right, but thats just life, and you learn as you move along...if someone doesnt want to learn ( i refer back now to the grapx card), then be stuck with your outdated console hardware...its your call.. :) So i think you missed BM's point a little.

15. BosonMichael

It's not rocket science, mate. :) As ITh analogized, it's more difficult to do the research on HDTVs than it is to slap in a video card, throw the CD in, and follow the prompts.

16. BosonMichael

I dunno about you guys... but I don't spend $300 (£150) on graphics cards. :)

17. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

As stated in a previous post my point is that its unfair to put PCs and Consoles toe 2 toe, they are both superior in there own right and bring very different gaming experiences to the table, one thing that i think is crippling PC format is the amount of people with pirated games and the ease of which illegal games can be obtained(and could even be backed up by the slup in PC Games Sales, sure this happens on consoles too but as this articale explains, is it really worth the hassle) but anyway like Fergal said

and following Fergal comment, People buy them because they are simple, fits in perfectly with family and friends and the learning curve is minimal. How can you ever compair a PC to a WII thats just insane

18. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

Which is exactly what the point of my discussion in the first place was..:blink AGAIN - my point being that PC's are the better machine techincally speaking. I never said that consoles suck a-hole, iv only ever tried to push the agreement that PCs are indeed the superior machine in terms of technicality. Everytime i state this, you say that consoles are good for x,y and z reason...which is fine, but you cant then say the comparision is unfair when my point in the first place should be recognised in terms of technicality.:)

All platforms are worth buying and trying, by all means. I love all forms of gaming if it holds my attention and i enjoy myself...however people should recognise which machine is technically superior imo and not claim a console > PC...

19. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

Well even better then...my point being that the argument is kind of shallow: that it takes "soo much money" to upgrade a PC when a PC upgrade is required, when essentially a console release arrives near enough the same time , which costs £200+ more than a grapx card would ever do.