quick question

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by farmer, Jul 11, 2005.

1. farmer

farmer Byte Poster

hi guy's just a quick question, thats probibly been answerd before
    due to my accident at work i have an ongoing compensation claim
    and i have a recruitment consultant coming in the next few days to tell me what my job prospects are.
    what i want from you guys is an idea of type of work and salary i can expect with A+ & N+ certs and what other certs would be usefull? thaks in advance.

Certifications: C&G level 2, ECDL, IC3, MOS
    WIP: city and guilds level3 , a+
  2. KeithNN

KeithNN Byte Poster

To be honest I don't think certs actually make any difference to your salary in the UK (at least, not at my level.. maybe higher level jobs and with a CCNA/MCSE type exam). Your salary will be proportionate to the amount of experience you have. And the same may be said at the type of work you'll get too. With A+ and Network+ alone you'll really be looking at entry-level type jobs (less than 2 years experience) such as Technician or first tier Help Desk. Other certs to look at depend on which route you intend taking? No good me recommending MCSE or CCNA if you're thinking of being a programmer....

Certifications: MCSA/MCSE, MCDST, MOS Mstr, Sec+,Net+,A+
    WIP: 70-284
  3. farmer

farmer Byte Poster

i was thinking along the lines of becoming a technican as programing and design does not appeal to me as a iam more a hands on type of person

Certifications: C&G level 2, ECDL, IC3, MOS
    WIP: city and guilds level3 , a+
  4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Quick answer would be that you'll most likely be looking at some sort of helpdesk role, unless you can fluke a juicier role straight off. Helpdesk is generally regarded as a good starting point. I daresay some of the other Guys will offer more advice on this tho ... :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. KeithNN

KeithNN Byte Poster

OK. As a technician I'd suggest you did the MCSE route starting with the A+ and Network+ (these will count as an elective for the MCSA which would be an interim step once you've got the first 3 MCSE exams). I think you could get your foot in the door with the A+ (it helped me get my start with my first school) as long as you don't expect too much in the wages deparment and the hands-on you get then will help with your studies for the MCP exams.

If you want to get more into hands-on with Networking then the CCNA/CCNP would be a great advantage (although if you got into schools the LEA tend to deal with your routers so it wouldn't be of too much use!). Can I also suggest, as a technician you also do a lot of desktop support so MCDST might be worth a look along the way. If your MS Office skills aren't too good I'd also recommend looking into the MOS qualification (not necessarily going all the way to the Master but at least to get a good competence level).

Certifications: MCSA/MCSE, MCDST, MOS Mstr, Sec+,Net+,A+
    WIP: 70-284
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I'd have to go along with Keith. Certifications can be useful but as far as getting the primo job you want, experience is king. You'll have to pay your dues before you move up the ladder.

Certifications: A+ and Network+