Quick question about CV

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Selyuu, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Selyuu

Selyuu New Member

Should I include my most recent professional experience even if it isn't related to IT?

Prior to that, I had a temporary work experience in IT support and before that, experience in customer service for a 5 star hotel, which I have included.

Thank you :)

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Yes, for the following reasons:

1. Shows what you've been doing and
    2. Shows any soft skills that you've developed.

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Agreed. Soft skills in IT should not be underestimated.

I see it a lot in the companies I work in. The ones with the IT guys that are happy to approach others and are open to discussion and actively seek to help others, are doing better and also seem to have a better, happier work experience. It's the reclusive ones that like to be left alone and retreat to a corner end up being left out of all the good stuff sooner or later.

Working in customer service at a 5 star hotel sounds rather good. A potential employer could see you as an individual that provides world class service due to the expectations that end users often have towards IT.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  4. Selyuu

Selyuu New Member

Thank you for the solid advice, guys. I will integrate skills I think are transferable over to my IT CV, including my most recent employment.