Questions about the web designer certification

Discussion in 'CIW Certifications' started by JJC99, Mar 20, 2009.

1. JJC99

JJC99 New Member

Hi everyone, I'm very new to this certification thing, I've only known about it for... a few hours :biggrin ! I'm actually studying Science and Accounting right now... but I also have an interest in web design, and I think it's a very useful practical tool just for life in general. I'm thinking of getting the web developer certification, but I want to have a lot of practice in in actually making sites rather than just theory, and I want something to force me to do it since that's the only way I will not procrastinate ^^;.

I just want to know if you would get any projects or any sort of practice in the certification process? Or if there's any deadlines attached to them?

I'm also a full time student... so would I have time for it? Though I do have a 4 month summer vacation :biggrin, but then I have school, then co-op.

Thanks!

2. thecatsmother

thecatsmother Byte Poster

Assuming it is the CIW certs you're talking about, no you don't get much in the way of practical site building projects. It's mostly theory, with a bit of hands-on working through putting together one site (and it really is just assembling it from provided files). As for deadlines, it will depend on the organisation you do the course with. With most you work at your own pace, but I know that the Paisley university (West of Scotland University I think they call themselves now) one has a starting and ending date even if you do it by distance learning, so presumably you have to submit work to deadlines.

A lot of it is useful stuff to know if you want to be a web designer, but it is more a starting point for further study and hands-on practice than a practical how-to course. If you're doing the full Web Design Manager cert, you will get a fair bit of practical experience of writing Javascript and Perl, but again at a level that should really be considered a starting point for further development.

Hope that helps

WIP: CIW Website Design Manager