Questions about MCPD: EAD 3.5

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Lohengrin, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Lohengrin

Lohengrin Bit Poster

I'm interested in taking the "MCDP: Enterprise Application Developer 3.5", I'll start with the courses (since I suck at self-study ) and then the exams later on, but I have some questions so I hope you can help me.

I'm a junior developer, I mainly use VB.NET and SQL Server 2005 but I also know my way around C# -to some extent-. So far I only code windows applications, so I have no experience in web development.

My questions are:

1) Must I take/finish the MCPD: EAD 2.0 before I can start the MCPD: EAD 3.5?

2) Someone told me that MCPD 3.5 in general ONLY covers the new additions from 2.0~3.5, in other words, does MCPD 3.5 completes MCPD 2.0 or replacesit completely?

3) When I was asking about (70-562) ASP.NET Application Development 3.5 (which is a part of MCPD: EAD 3.5 of course) I was told that if I never used ASP.NET before then I must take the "MCTS: .NET Framework 2.0 Web Applications" first, is that true?

Well, that's it, thanks in advance.

WIP: MCPD: EAD 3.5
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi, why not introduce yourself here and be a part of this community :)

No, you take the certification based on which version you actually work with.

No, if you already have the MCPD for version 2, then the upgrade exams only covers the differences between the two. if you are starting from fresh, then you will be tested on all the objectives.

I haven't heard that one before, however MS do recommend doing the 70-536: TS: Microsoft .NET Framework – Application Development Foundation. This exam is the foundation prerequisite for all Visual Studio 2005 and Visual Studio 2008 MCTS and MCPD certifications.

See here.

Hope this helps :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Lohengrin

Lohengrin Bit Poster

Thanks a lot mate, that sure helps.

Another quick question if you don't mind; I heard that you can't be certified in 3.0 unless you're already certified in 2.0, I couldn't find anything to support this information but I thought it won't hurt to ask.

Also, here the details of the MCPD: EAD 3.5 requirements and prerequisites from Microsoft's website, I was wondering if this is the details for the "upgrade" or the "fresh start"?

[​IMG]

PS: So sorry guys about the double post earlier :oops:

*goes to properly introduce himself* :biggrin

4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

That's not true. If you're not using the .net version 2, why get certified in it? One of the points of the higher level professional certifications, is to demostrate and reflect your job role and responsibilities.

The picture that you have shown is to start from scratch, here is what you'll have to do if you're going thru the upgrade process :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Lohengrin

Lohengrin Bit Poster

Thanks A LOT mate for all your help, I really appreciate it. I been stuck for days trying to figure these things out, now I can go and smack that sales rep. at New Horizon for all the BS he told me :twisted:

6. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Actually these distinctions are generally pretty meaningless to developers. New versions are generally incremental changes, therefore 3.5 will be 80% the same as 2.0. The major new features (WPF,WCF,WWF) have totally new exams which didn't exist on the 2.0 track and only WCF is mandatory for MCPD Ent.

I've used about 6 different versions of Visual Studio since 1.52, frankly I didn't give a toss about the version number of the IDE, I only cared about the C++ ANSI/ISO standard, the differences of the compiler from the standard and the libraries I was using.

Microsofts feature/release driven marketing is just that, marketing.

Ultimately your role as a programmer is meet the clients needs using whatever tech makes the most sense. Rolling out upgrades to the development stack tends to be less of a big deal in MS environments.

If you haven't already started I'd advise starting on the 3.5 track, companies generally want you to have the latest version and developer upgrade exams are supposed to be very tough so this will avoid that issue.

Its good to check out the tracks, but I'd focus on one exam at a time, 70-536 is valid for all .NET tracks so I'd take that first.

7. Lohengrin

Lohengrin Bit Poster

That's good to know, thanks for the useful information :)

8. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Training companies will sell you whatever cr*p... I mean training courses they have available, regardless of your needs. Most places are still marketing MCSD courses.

Frankly if you require a course you probably aren't a suitable candidate for MCPD, let alone MCPD Ent. MCPD is designed for people with the experience that just need to brush up on a few details. Also a programming career requires constant self study, you should not expect to be spoon fed information or to get an easy ride.

I would really think hard about your career choice if you are not a self starter prepared to self study. What are you going to do when you get a diffcult problem and its just you and your wits ? What are you going to do if you get a problem with proprietary code or closed source code with missing documentation ? etc etc.

If you're not motivated to study now when you're young and without responsibilities, how motivated are you going to be in 15+ years time when you've got numerous other demands on your time ?

9. Lohengrin

Lohengrin Bit Poster

I understand what you're trying to say, but you shouldn't judge people you don't know since you obviously you won't have all the facts/details.

I do appreciate the advice, but despite of what you think and regardless of what I can or can't do, I'm doing what I believe to be the best for me at this point, so lets leave it at that.

10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

His advice isn't meant to be a slight on you, Lohengrin. But what he says is the truth. The MCPD is designed for programmers who already have experience programming. And if you have experience programming, you don't need a training course.

Additionally, most employers aren't gonna pay for you to take an expensive training course... nor give you paid time off to do it. Showing an employer that you're motivated enough to self study goes a loooong way, I can promise you.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. Lohengrin

Lohengrin Bit Poster

I do understand what both of you are trying to say, but every person thinks in a different way.

I believe self study alone isn't practical (at least not for me it ain't), it requires a lot of time and effort and even then the result is not guaranteed.

On the other hand when I choose a course I don't just sit and enjoy the ride till it ends, along with the course itself I start the self study to further improve my skills and even after it's finished I continue to learn on my own, the courses help motivate me and put me on the right track while learning from professionals.

What I try to do is get the best of both, what's wrong with that?

12. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Your not inderstanding mate, this certification is for people who already do this for a living not for people wanting to do it.

Some certs are for people looking to get into a related area and some certifications are designed to show your on the job experience.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  13. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

...which is exactly why we're trying to tell you how most employers think, my friend. :)

Disagree with us if you want... but we've already built our IT careers, and already been around the block, so to speak - we're trying to help YOU out. ;)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  14. Lohengrin

Lohengrin Bit Poster

I believe that's true, but only for those who intend to take the exams directly or self study then take the exams. I do realize that it requires a certain of level of knowledge/experience and that's why I intend to take the courses, I won't have to start from scratch so the courses will help me improve my skills.

The MCPD: Enterprise Application Developer 3.5 has five prerequisite MCTS exams, and that's where I'll start (obviously).

I realize that, and I am taking all your advice seriously and appreciate it, but I'm aware of my skills and limitations and I believe I will succeed, and whether it's the best course of action or not; that remains to be seen.

15. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

All you need to do is do a search on here for people who have taken the MCSE or other higher certs and they don't have the rquired experience and can't get a job because they are over certified for their experience level. We are trying to help you, we do not want you to do a course because you want a job related to that course then you come back here and say I can't get a job because I am overcertified why didn't you tell me?

It has nothing to do with your limitations it is very likely that will pass if you put the work in but your ultimate aim of getting a job from it may be dashed because you are too qualified for your level.

Put it this way, you don't put someone in a race car who has just passed their test do you? Just because someone has passed their driving test doesn't mean that they can drive.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  16. Lohengrin

Lohengrin Bit Poster

Your words make perfect sense, I guess I have to apologize that I didn't clearly explain my aim.

I'm not doing this because I believe it will jump-start my career or something, I'm doing it because I really want to learn and further improve my skills, it may sound cheesy but it's the truth.

"You can't be disappointed if you had no expectations to begin with!" - me