Question for the 20th November.

Discussion in 'A+' started by Boycie, Nov 20, 2005.

1. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

That may well be the correct answer for the A+ Boyce but as I stated before in this thread, I believe the answer is yes.

ESD straps are there to protect electronic components from YOU. They discharge you, so that you can't damage components. As per your last question regarding ESD straps, they have a resistor incorporated into them, it is 1 meg (1000000) ohms. That is what protects you from getting a shock.

Monitors have delicate electronics in them too, they can be damaged in exactly the same way that PC circuity can. Those components need protection from static discharge too. Anti-static mats, ESD straps etc are common tools for working on any electronic equipment whether or not they contain capacitors.

Once again, to re-emphasise the main point. Do not open a monitor and try and fix it unless you are qualified to do so. The potential for life threatening electric shock is very real.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Pete,

Surely, even a 1M resistor won't stop the 25KV coming out of a monitor :blink

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

25KV wouldn't give a hoot if you were wearing rubber gloves, wellies and standing on a rubber mat :biggrin

In reality, you wouldn't go near the LOPT (line output transformer) or associated EHT lead to the CRT whilst the monitor is switched on. When it is off, the CRT anode will stay charged up because of the capacitance effect. Experienced engineers will know to keep a sensible distance from it. Experienced engineers will also be aware of the potential danger from faulty power supplies and possible capacitors that may have not discharged. Under normal conditions capacitors will discharge when the power is switched off but if there is a fault, it may mean that the path to discharge has been lost and they can stay charged. An engineer will discharge them before they touch any HT circuitry.

25KV can arc about an inch to an *insulated* plastic handled screwdriver, much like a lightning bolt. The reason monitor/TV engineers don't get killed all the time, is that we know what to stay clear of. Having said that, I have had more than my fair share of whacks from EHT and faulty power supplies. I have witnessed people getting sever electric shocks and these people were experienced engineers. Electricity is invisible and every now and again it will bite you.

4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Pete,

As someone who is just about to leave the automotive industry :biggrin i, unfortunately know about shocks too! Some of the coil per plug set-ups on modern cars whack out a healthy 100KV :blink

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Wow, that is a lot more than the last car I worked on but that was a Mk1 Cortina :biggrin

My point can be equally applied to motor mechanics i.e. motor mechanics know what to stay away from (fans, belts, exhausts etc) so that they don't injure themselves. Electricity is more dangerous though because it is invisible.