Question about Stub and Delegation zone

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Theprof, Sep 18, 2010.

1. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I am just going over the DNS stuff of the 291 in preparation for the exam in 2 weeks and I just want a confirmation or a correction if I am missing something.

Zone delegation: Created under the parent domain dns server in the forward lookup zone pointing to another sub domain on a different server that could be located in a different region... Example. Contoso.com being the parent domain and marketing.contoso.com being the sub domain located in another region. So I would then create a delegation on contoso.com dns server that is authoritative to the contoso.com domain pointing to marketing.contoso.com with the FQDN and IP address of the dns server hosting marketing.contoso.com.

Disadvantage is that it cannot be dynamically updated... so if I have another DNS server in a remote location, the zone delegation would need to be updated manually to reflect the changes.

Stub Zone: Similar to Zone delegation only a stub zone can be dynamically updated which is an advantage over a zone delegation.

When creating zone delegation and stub zones... both zones contain a NS record along with a glue record also known as A record.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
    Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  2. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

Yeah sounds about right, the stub zone does not contain records of the hosts for the zone just the few ns, A, and a soa record if I recall rightly which are dynamically updated so no mistakes if a dns server is removed or added.

The delegated zone is a subdomain where the branch office can administer it locally to them. Remember also that a query is still sent to a delegated domain first even if you have forwarding set up to your isp for example in the forwarders tab.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I am talking rubbish.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, ITIL v3
    WIP: MCITP EA
  3. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Yep! you're right as you've grasped the concepts of stub and delegated zones quite nicely. Best wishes for the exam and keep plugging away:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell