question about patch panels

Discussion in 'Network+' started by Mariusz, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Mariusz

Mariusz Byte Poster

Hi Guys

there is one thing I don't understand in M.Meyers' book
    you punch down cables into 110 block, but cables from where?, and then you plug rj45 into patch panel, but where does the cable go? it is one point I can;t understand, and I have no posibility to see these panels live

thanks for answers in advance
    :-)
    Regards

Certifications: ECDL Extra, ITQ Lvl2, CompTIA A+, N+, S+
    WIP: MCTS 70-680 Win7
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Floor and Wall ports will usually go to a riser cab, the riser cab will (if located on a different floor) allow the wires to be routed to the comms cab (usually a systems room), those wires will then be punched into a patch panel. The front of the patch panel will have rj45 sockets going to your core switches which will connect to your infrastructure.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. paulwatson5

paulwatson5 Byte Poster

Have a look in the for sale/wants section of the forum, there is a member called uncle beard who is giving away patch panels for free (just needs money to cover postage).

Get yourself one and have a play around.

I got a 24 port one for about £2.50.

Certifications: CompTIA A+ (220-701 & 220-702)
    WIP: CompTIA Network +
  4. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Exactly what simon said, in a possibly more 'network+ simplistic way:
    for permanent/fixed cabling whether this be core networking to a server rack or simply a cable running through the walls of your house you can expose the (8 ) wires at the end of the patch cable and 'punch' these down (using a punch down/krone tool) into the back of the patch panel, once this has been done you can connect a RJ45 terminated patch cable into the corresponding port on the front of the panel to make the connection, this enables devices to be connected using a standard cable and if this need to be changed at any point this can easly be performed without requiring additional tools! Hopefully this makes sense :blink

Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
  5. bazzawood30

bazzawood30 Byte Poster

They are simply a tool for cable management, and cable protection. The cable from the wall socket to the back of the patch panel in the comms room is hard to replace as it goes through walls roofs etc. The patch between pc and wall or patch panel to switch/router is very easy to repalce. Due to the fact its also exposed its easy to damge as well, the short patch cables can be replaced or reconfigued easily saving time and money. If your cable went from pc to switch direct it would be a right job to replace a duff cable.

Certifications: ECDL,A+,N+,CCENT,CCNA,MCP,MCDST