Question about hubs..

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Juelz, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Im currently learning the fundamentals of networking and I fear I may have had the wrong idea about what a hub really is but I want full confirmation because I am that confused on how I could have been wrong.

So a hub is a device that is used to connect computers together.. but doesnt a hub have a communications link to the internet also? or is it just for connecting computers on the same LAN? if the answer to this is yes and there is no link to the internet.. then what is BT Home Hub for then? as I always thought it was used in the same-way a router is used but never truly understood it.

2. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

BT home hub is just some marketing name to be fair, it is a router. A hub switch which is what i think you mean , connects segments of a network on a LAN, they are not the best idea to use nowadays as they are half duplex (think the way a walkie talkie communicates) and also if my memory serves me right, they send to all creating extra traffic on the network, as opposed to a switch, which are full duplex, and will specifically send the right packet to the right device etc.

HTH

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
    dmarsh likes this.
  3. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

So on a standard hub there is no communication link to the net? So if I had 5 pcs and connected them up to a hub, this wouldnt be a device used for the PCs to connect to the net? Rather just a device for the PCs to communicate with eachother? Hope Im understanding this right.

4. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Yeah, that my understanding. They are also seen as a level 2 device in the OSI model, they transmit packets from node to node.

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
    Juelz likes this.
  5. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Thank you very much Ed, seems like all these years I have been completely wrong about the function of a hub!

6. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Ed explanation is good. Hubs just basically act like a bus, they are layer 1 devices.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/5456