Psychometric tests

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by zxspectrum, Aug 15, 2013.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

I have an interview next week for a pretty big company, but before i get there I had to complete an online test,

I must admit before the test in general i was feeling confident, because the interview is next week im reading up on active directory, using trainsignal and youtube etc, to give me the edge. Now after the psychometric test which was based on verbal and numerical skills, i feel all useless and angry, i have got rid of the anger by giving the punch bag a bit of a beating.

But now my confidence is back to where it normally is, at the lower levels etc.

I dont claim to be any intelligent person, but i know id of done better with the questions under normal circumstances, rather than having 60, 75 or 90 seconds to answer a question, which is what these tests are for, to test you under pressure etc.

Hopefully thats the worst bit over and between now and interview time, i can pick myself up and put in a good performance and get this elusive first IT job

Whats other peoples experiences of these tests, and what did you do after ??

Zx

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Terrible, hate them. Alot of the questions are almost yes, no, maybe (or variations of it) which organisations trying to get to "know" you without actually knowing you (your personality, ability, motivation, career interests). I've taken a couple and told my results as a number without them actually telling me the outcome, so go figure...

The only thing that I've found is that the questions are normally black & white - however as we all know (well apart from the people that do these tests) that the world is shades of grey. What I may do in one situation, I may not do in another. How I feel at one moment in time, is not the same in another moment in time. So these tests are, imo, a snap shot of a particular moment in time.

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Mr_Cellophane

Mr_Cellophane Nibble Poster

Psychometric tests usually have 4 options.
    One is correct (obviously)
    One is absolute nonsense
    One is the correct way to solve a similar problem
    One is almost correct

In most cases you can eliminate options 2 and 3, so that gives you a 50/50 chance of getting it right.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDST, MCNE, PRINCE 2 and ITIL
    WIP: MCSE 2003
  4. BigG

BigG Nibble Poster

That's not a psychometric test. The idea of a psychometric test is not a right / wrong answer but to understand "how you think". There are no wrong answers and the result of what you answer puts you into a particular category, dependent on the test.

For example " An employee is crying in the office , do you
    A. tell them to shut up and get back to work
    B. Leave them alone
    C. Comfort them

The answer given will determine your fit to the company.
    e.g. If you are going for an HR role then answer A would put single you out as having no compassion, but if you were working for a bank on a trading floor with $millions at state, then maybe your the kind of guy they are looking for!!

ZXSpectrum - Don't worry about the tests - it's all about fit, and hopefully a way to identify areas that they can help you improve on when you get the job.

G

Certifications: BSc, Prince2 Practitioner, MCSA Win7, MCSA 2008
    WIP: Vmware, ITILv3 on the back burner