Proxy Appliance Suggestions

Discussion in 'Networks' started by dales, Apr 16, 2009.

1. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Hi all,

We are currently putting the feelers out for a new proxy appliance as our current one is no longer really cutting the mustard. I wondered if anyone could throw a few ideas at me. I've started looking at websense and a company called clearview.

We have a few oddities in that we are not an MS shop so i'm assuming anything ISA based is out as it would require AD to function. We have approx 350 DT's and 60 servers (mix of netware/linux and a few winblows ones.

But as its my first project of this nature I wanted to see what was out there and being used.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  2. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

We put in a Bararcuda box for about 2 months, but the bloody thing was always freezing. Now we have a Cyberoam at school. Very good, a bit on the pricey side. The only draw back in that you have to install a single sign on dooflab so you don't have to login when you want to use the internet. We currently only use the web filtering side of the device.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

We use the Sophos Web Appliance. While I personally do not like their anti-virus product, this product impressed me, plus the price was very reasonable. Cheaper than alot of their competitors.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

thanks for the hints guys, AJ I was just tapping out an email to bararcuda and installing a client side check wouldnt be a problem cause we have to do that already with border manager.

Wagnerk, we use sophos AV so a similar appliance may well be a good idea.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

When you say 'not cutting the mustard' - what do you mean exactly? The last job I was in I managed to keep an old MS Proxy 2.0 box with SmurfControl webfilter for policy enforcement running on an NT 4.0 server with... yep, you guessed it, another NT 4.0 server chained upstream doing web threat protection using a version of Trend ISVW that was support-expired for five years... for eighteen months!

So suck it up! :biggrin

Seriously, try looking at either Celestix or Finjan. The Celestix boxes are good at the lower end of the market, the higher end Finjan boxes are all kinds of awesome - but a bit more expensive. Barracuda have always pissed me off for some reason - I just have never found getting to grips with them easy. Just personal preference I guess.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em