Promised pay rise hasn't happened, staying motivated?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by jvanassen, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Slam

Slam Bit Poster

How long is your daily commute? What's your start / finishing times?

2. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

Sounds a lot when you say it lie that, but averaging out per week it's not too bad compared to running and maintaining a vehicle once you've taken all the running costs, not just fuel, into consideration ;)

3. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

For anyone that may still be interested heres an update on my situation, il try to keep it as brief as possible.

Ok so firstly we found out this week why the company had been holding back PO's etc. We have been bought by quite a large company who have there fingers in all sorts of pies, from records management to shredding to even hand driers and other toilet facilities. Its a company i instantly recognised and like i say they offer around 15 very different services but all related to workplace services. However what we do as a company is an area they hadnt invested in and thats obviously why this has happened. Also it sounds like our company had grown as much as it could and needed some more backing etc.

So it sounds promising and theres now massive potential for the company to grow and more roles will appear for me to move up in. It sounds very good but who knows what this company have in store for us, i know theres been an agreement that over the next two years not alot will change and they will leave us to get on with things as we do but obviously now with there finacial backing etc. However it seems like after two years thats when we will see major changes that they want to bring in with it now being there company. So i can imagine that maybe our accounts department will disapear and will be managed by there accounts department at there head office and maybe the same will happen with out IT department, who knows what will happen, it might all stay the same, will have to see.

Ive also had an appraisal last week to which my manager told me that id outgrown my role and that it was basically time for me to move into another role however the current role which is needed by the company is someone to run the helpdesk so he said hopefully in the coming year i can move on. He said that he would help me progress some more and go back to his ways of showing me loads of stuff like he did when i first started and he said over the coming months he will try and spend alot of time with me giving me an understanding of how certain things are setup etc as at current he doesnt feel comfortable going on holiday given the things he knows and myself and the administrator dont.

So it all sounds promising, it looks like theres now more room to move up and the company will expand and ive also been told im doing more than what i was employed for and ive "outgrown my role"

However still no payrise and all that got mentioned by my boss in my apraisal was that my payrise should be just round the corner but he doesnt want to give me a date because he doesnt want to look like a ***** again.

Our IT director has said if anyone has any questions regarding the take over then feel free to come in his office and have a chat. Im currently waiting to pick my moment and go in there and say im a bit worried because i am under the impression a payrise is meant to be coming my way but it hasnt happened and now that there is someone else handling our budget how much longer is this going to delay my payrise considering ive supposedly "outgrown my current role"

I dont want to say to much to the IT director because as mentioned before i dont know whether my boss should of definetly told me i was getting a payrise but i do want to take the chance and just ask him straight up whats going on as im sick of asking the middleman aka my boss.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101
  4. steve_f

steve_f Byte Poster

Lets do the maths.

You say you are supporting 200 people. Lets say an average salary of 25k, they are paying 5 million a year in payroll.
    Your 3k raise is 0.0006% of their payroll. Trust me they are not sweating about your payrise or "moving money around" to accomodate it.

Your boss is probably busy and this is not a high priority for him compared to the challenges he is juggling.
    Divide the priority by 100 for the directors.

Write your boss an email: "On x date you told me I would get x payrise in January. Can you please confirm when this will materialise, and please backpay the salary to X date. Thank you"

Get your CV up to date.

Now a reality check. You may be closing 80% of those service dek calls, but are they trivial calls? What do you o when the calls are of this nature:
    - VPN is not working for all users
    - Nobody can connect to Exchange
    - Site A has dropped off the network
    - Someone has deleted an OU from Active Directory

You may have an inflated sense if your own worth with only 8 months experience. Sometimes at that level of experience, people don't yet know what they don't know.

My personal experience: My first IT job paid 20k. After 18 months, I got an offer of 24k elsewhere, and wrote a resignation letter to my boss.
    "I love my job here but I have a mortgage and a young family. This other company is willing to pay me 4k more for the same work. If there is any flexibility around my compensation, I would be very pleased to stay, but I must put my financial obligations to my family as a first priority"

They kept me on at 24k. I left a year later for a job paying 29k.

Certifications: MCDST, MCSA 2003+Messaging, MCITP:SA, MCSA 2008, ITIL v3 Foundation, Comptia Server+ 2009, CCA Xenapp 6.5, VCP5-DV
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA, CCSA
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

That tactic doesn’t work for everyone. If you sent me an email like that then I would I would hesitate in giving you the extra cash to stay.

Looks like that would be the right thing to do as you left a year later anyway.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

Just a little update to hopefully bring an end to what must now be a boring thread lol. I finally got it :D not physically seen it in the bank yet, but ive been officially taken down the local boozer and been told, a sweet 25% increase. Very happy and chuffed considering ive only working in IT a year now, although i feel i deserve it for everything ive achieved and been doing over the past year.

Just to add this i have some brilliant news in terms of my progression, ive boasted alot on here about how great the exposure im getting is, well it just got better 'i think'. We rent out two floors in our current office, one for our bureau and the other for all our other staff, IT, sales, support, accounts etc.

The company had been looking to expand and move our bureau to a bigger location and when telling the company we rent the building off about this they basically told us they have other plans and there going to sell up lol. Weve been told we have to be out by the end of september lol (WTF?!?!!?)

So we have 4 months to move out and setup two locations and move our whole infrastructure. Its going to be a manic next 4 months with lots of out of hours work and no doubt im going to really be earning my money.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101
  7. rocdamike

rocdamike Byte Poster Gold Member

Well done! Congrats on the pay rise. :beers2

Certifications: F5 CTS, LTM | F5-CA | CCNA: Sec | CCNA: R&S | ITIL Foundation
    WIP: AWS Solutions Architect
  8. aushus

aushus Kilobyte Poster

Congrats

9. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

congrats on the pay rise

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP