Project Management

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by mattwest, May 18, 2006.

1. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Hey,

I'm a 3rd line IT Technician who gets involved in all things 3rd line and also alot of project work for new roll outs, system upgrades etc.

I enjoy my job, the training is excellent and the pay not that bad (although, as always could be better!)

I have aspirations for a management position in IT anyway so i'm just completed a team leading certificate at my local college plus i'm developing other soft skills.

I'm also considering IT Project Management as a field i think i would enjoy, i am a techie but deep down i prefer managing projects to the nitty gritty of router config etc.

How do you guys think i should or could go about getting into this side of things?

I'm due to go on an ITIL course soon and hopefully the Prince2 Foundation course in the future. My local college is also offering a Level 5 Diploma in Project Management but i'm not sure its worth the effort?

Any ideas? Suggestions? Thanks!! :D

Certifications: See my signature...
    WIP: Maybe re-certify my CCNA
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Im not too sure if you know about it and sorry cant tell you much about it.. :oops: but i know there is the PMP (Project Management Professional) certification. Click here for more info

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Not too sure about these project management certifications myself, surely things such as project management are best assessed by actual experience of doing it, and learning as you go? :blink

4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

i actually thought it was a highly respected certification simon? or have i got something mixed up here? :blink

5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I have no idea Zimbo if it is well respected or not. I simply have never came across it, or anyone who has these type of certifications. 8)

What I was trying to get across is that would a proven track record not count for more than a peice of paper that says you can project manage, but may never have? :blink

6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

i agree.. and nope never have! :oops:

7. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

I've heard of PMI but i think PRINCE2 is the standard for the UK....

I'm also looking for ideas of how to break into that field experience wise?

Usually you'll need experience and the qualififcation to back it up so one half is better than none!

I do a fair bit of project work in my current job, i may see if i can volunteer on some larger projects so i can be the lead.... something tangible i can show on my CV....mmmmmmmmmm??

:blink

Certifications: See my signature...
    WIP: Maybe re-certify my CCNA
  8. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

part of my job is project management, though i have no certs for it. i just wing it as i go along. most if it is common sense.

9. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

The Prince2 seems to be well respected, you could try and persuade the firm to spring for the Practitioner instead of just the foundation, it only adds 2 days onto the foundation course and you get the full qualification. I did it last year, the foundation is a quick multi choice exam, the practitioner is a 3 hour written exam. I haven't written by hand for that long since college...... a very long time ago :) It's nice to have on the CV but I'm happy as a techie and happen to believe all Project Managers should be crucified or alternatively, come the revolution, Project Managers will be first against the wall.

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  10. Handyman

Handyman Bit Poster

If you look at a lot of IT contractor sites they state that the only qualification worth having are Prince2 and ITIL. PMP is something a lot of people go for I think because its cheaper.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation, BTEC Nat Computing
    WIP: CCNA
  11. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

Hmmm... project management is comprised of people skills, organizational skills, and delegational skills. Mostly, you're either born with this, or you're not. That said, no certification will show other people that you are competent to lead a team and project to completion. Sure, reading books on the subject is great, as I'm sure one can always absorb techniques from this, but the real world requires real work.

The *best* way to learn project management skills is to learn directly from a superior -- normally the manager leading your group. The problem? The percentage of managers that actually manage effectively is rather low. However, having someone take you under their wing, and providing leadership for your tutelage is the most effective way.

If that's not available, then stepping up to the plate and providing direction and leadership to your peers is the 'line of fire' way. The caveat? Well, age makes a huge difference. Most younger people seem to have a chip on their shoulder (in terms of leadership), particularly when dealing with older team mates. This leads to confrontation, the project killer, and one of the largest reasons for good people skills -- conflict resolution. Actually, derailling conflict before it happens is the best tact.

A few more things:
    Patience, patience, and more patience.
    Never let 'em see you sweat; you need to remain calm
    LISTEN

Project management skills, training classes, powerpoints, and techniques are all great -- but they can be learned easily. The largest problem in team management is people, both working with them, respecting them, and yes, managing them.

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  12. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Lest we forget *risk* assessment :dry

I have spent 14 years in senior management, involved in more projects that I can possibly remember. What strikes me about the current trend of teaching so-called project management techniques, is that so much of it is built on American jargonised waffle (no disrespect to our American members here). It's just that it's irritating to me, maybe I am just too long in the tooth to go with the flow.

I suppose the same can be said of everything in life. There are people that will want to earn a buck by taking logic and commonsense and injecting a plethora of acronyms and buzzwords and regurgitating common knowledge in such a way as they can charge to teach it.

There is no doubt in my mind that the current trends in our industry are evolving in such a way that the most valuable people will be those that are multi-talented. It's no longer enough, just to be able to troubleshoot a network problem, you need people skills, managerial skills, accounting skills and the patience of a saint.

Having said all that, I am also sure that studying anything including project management will not do you any long term harm :wink:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)