programming without qualification...

Discussion in 'Web Development & Web Hosting' started by 1Q2W3E, Dec 15, 2010.

1. 1Q2W3E

1Q2W3E Bit Poster

hello everyone....

I just wanted to know that, if someone is a programmer (in the web development), is it possible to get a job in that sector without holding any qualification or there should be a qualification behind it. As far as I'm concerned, if someone can deliver the companies requirements, there shouldn't be a problem. However I totally agree that qualification is good to have, but if someone has the knowledge who can prove his ability, is it necessary to get those certificate.

what are the chances to get a job without any qualification.

thank you for your time to read this and you would really be helpful if you reply. :(

Certifications: Degree
    WIP: MCSA
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I have no programming qualifications (The only IT related cert I currently hold is the ITIL foundation), and I have been working as a developer for several years now.

Its not easy to do though. Companies are going to be largely unwilling to hire someone as a developer without some evidence that they are capable of developing. I was lucky in that I was able to build that experience whilst working in IT in a different role (VBScript mostly, but a little DB stuff, ASP, and .Net). That secured me a job as a FT developer, and I've just been moving up the tree ever since.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

What he said...

There's no straight forward answer, but in general the same goes for any other certification. They help your CV along a bit, especially if the job spec requires certain skills - sure, it's great to be able to say that you are certified in VB.NET or SQL, whatever. But what helps even more is a history of experience working in the appropriate field. Many will argue that you can't have one without the other, but of course it is possible to study and gain certifications without work experience, but it isn't possible to gain work experince without, er, work experience.

The usual question is 'how are newcomers supposed to break into the industry?' I suppose the answer is 'slowly'.

Generally speaking if you have to choose between certification and experience, I'd choose experience - but both are good - that's what certification is for. Can you do without it? Sure. I know lots of top guys with absolutely no certifications, and likewise some complete ****-ends with certifications coming out of their ears. Go figure.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

If you can prove your ability both on paper, in an interview and on the job, then no you shouldn't have a problem.

I know multiple people who managed to get into web development without a degree, some with certs, some without. Generally they had to take what they could get and work their way up.

Generally for most employers no, they realise there is a low correlation between good developers and certification.

Not great as many companies like to see a Computer Science degree for a programming job, it is not essential, but it is one indicator out of many that you take your career and learning seriously.

If you have no qualifications but significant demonstrable experience then the qualifications cease to become an issue.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  5. J.Hinds

J.Hinds Nibble Poster

The best advice I could give you here is to do what photographers do and build a portfolio of your work. Alternatively you could create a webpage for yourself, showcasing everything you can do and then update it as you learn more.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCTS (Win 7)
    WIP: MCSA (Server)
  6. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I couldn't disagree more with that last suggestion - that is the ultimate in tacky. I honestly cringe whenever I see one of those.

Having a portfolio of your work isnt a bad thing, but it depends on what you are doing. For webpages/webapps in the public domain, sure thats all well and good - anyone can get to those sites and see them. For those (like me) who develop bespoke, internal applications for the business its not so easy to do. Technically that code/application belongs to my employer. Showcasing it to outside companies can be viewed as a breach of contract.

That said, I have never had to do that, so its never an issue.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present