Programming Cert Studying Techniques

Discussion in 'MCAD / MCSD / MCPD' started by dave0989, Mar 22, 2007.

1. dave0989

dave0989 New Member

Hey everyone I was wondering what you have done to study and prepare for any sort of progamming exam.
    What techniques worked and what didn't?
    Are practice exams worth it?
    On average how much study time did you invest for studying for the exams?
    What publishers or author write the best test prep books?

Any specific information related to C# exams would be helpfull.

Thanks

2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Get hold of an IDE, or compiler (like Visual Studio) and paractice!

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

I have never taken a programming cert exam but i have learnt many languages at college and uni (Pascal, VB, C++, Assembly and Java) and i can tell you that programming is the TOUGHEST subject to learn. You cant open a book and just learn it! Like jonnyMX says: practice! Its worth investing in a non-exam-specific book first to learn the language before diving into the cert material so my advice is get one of those books first and work through it.

Good luck! 8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  4. Frontier

Frontier Byte Poster

I agree with Johnny and Zimbo, you will learn an awful lot from practicing your coding skills in some form of development environment. Reading books alone will not teach you the skills you need. You need to put what you learn into practice.

5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Programming is tough, I did some C++ and VB coding a few years back. You really have to put the time in.

I would say configuring Cisco and Checkpoint firewalls is tough as well though! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. wideboy_west

wideboy_west Bit Poster

my approach is to do the examples in book e.g., the step by step and dummies books and then after a few chapters try to build a application for what I have learned that is not in the book.

Maybe even think of a application you may want to build before you start and try to apply that as you learn. Learning requirements and design is as important as the building of a program