Professor Messer's videos

Discussion in 'A+' started by Benny30, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Benny30

Benny30 Bit Poster

Hi guys,
    Can anyone who's taken the exam(s) confirm whether the free videos on Professor Messer's website covers all I'd need for the exam, or would I also have to buy books?
    I've been caught out before with ICS where they say all the course content is in the videos but there were questions in the exam that they didn't cover and i had to buy books that go with it.

I much prefer learning from nuggets than books so would be handy to know if I can just use the videos.

Any help would be appreciated :-)

Cheers,

Ben.

2. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

I recommend always using more than one resource for any exam. Mike Meyers A+ all-in-one exam guide comes highly recommended. That paired with the videos and maybe a practice test from a reputable company would put you in very shape for the A+ exams.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

You should never use one source for studying from. Even if you do not like reading you should get the books and you also need to get used to reading alot of information too. As if you get an IT job at some point you may have to be reading a lot of information from screen to someone.

Always back up videos with books or use more than one book but I would not say use too different video providers.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Benny30

Benny30 Bit Poster

The problem I have with that is how to actually go about using the two methods side by side.. how will I know i'm actually following a structure?

5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Find your own way.

Some people read the book then supplement their new found knowledge with the videos. Some people watch the videos then read the books. In all cases imo you should take notes and study and practice.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. Benny30

Benny30 Bit Poster

Cool cheers for the advice

7. Timostag

Timostag Bit Poster

I used prof. messers videos as my main source when studying, but i did use quick reference books to cram and I did alot of practice exams.

No Professor messer's videos wont teach you what you need to know for every single question you may get on the exams, but if you read every single book on the market the odds are you will still get a question that you haven't covered. In my opinion the pro messer videos teach enough to pass if you take it all in and understand it. As other people say its always worth studying from more than one resource and do plenty of practice tests, although I felt like the practice tests had some irelivent questions (i.e. what class fire extinusher to use on a paper fire!)

Certifications: A+,MTA:Networking, MTA: Server Fundamentals MTA:Operating Systems MTA:Security Fundamentals ITIL Foundation
  8. 1/4

1/4 Byte Poster

You'll pass the A+ with just Professer Messer, but I can guarantee you that he doesn't cover everything.

Certifications: A+, N+
    WIP: 70-680
  9. Benny30

Benny30 Bit Poster

Do you reckon it's best to use the videos as the main resource then, and do lots of practice tests whilst using the all in one study guide as reference?

10. 1/4

1/4 Byte Poster

I bought the all in one mike meyers book. It is physically too big and cumbersome for my lifestyle at the moment. Downloading the professer messer videos onto my MP3 player was much more valuable to me as a learning resource.

I'm not discrediting the AIO book the content is superb, but for me it may as well have been a breeze block in a shed. If im not on the move I'm working or otherwise busy. Snatching 10 minutes here and there very, very quickly adds up.

Again, this is what worked for me. People are different. As long as you learn everything pretty well from Professer Messer you will walk the exam. I got 90.4% on the 220-701 and am booked in for the 220-702 using basically just the videos.

Kind regards

1/4

Certifications: A+, N+
    WIP: 70-680