Professional Development, but not in IT

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Kitkatninja, May 27, 2009.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi All,

Had a thought (yes, it did hurt a bit :biggrin ), I want to do more than only IT CPD, so I thought about what else I could do... So I thought about management, after all I'm an IT manager and I want to move up.

With this in mind, I've decided to work towards a management qualification and see about joining the ILM, both later on in the year (most likely Q4).

Has anyone had any dealing with the ILM? Or if anyone has made the move to upper/higher management, I'd love to hear what route you took :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  2. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Hiya Ken, I've got the Team Leader Certificate from the ILM. I thought it was really good to be honest. It was administered through Edge Hill Uni local to me and the tutor came to our office to teach a class half day once a week.

A few of our managers did the Diploma and enjoyed it.

It looks good on your CV and as you rightly say mate, there's more to a CV than just technical skills.

Is there a higher role in your place for you or would you have to move on?

Cheers

Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. Kitkatninja

Well at my place, no, I'm at the highest level I can go. Even though I'm not actively looking, I want to/have to plan for the future. I want to ensure that if anything happened, I'm suitably qualified/skilled.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  4. JK2447

Sorry Ken, just reading what I'd wrote, it sounded quite cheeky me asking you what your plans were but I didn't mean it like that sorry.

Oh absolutely mate, always good to plan for the future. I like to pick a specific role and aim for that in terms of the qualifications I take and projects I get involved in. I've just had sign off on me doing the CEH to put me in good stead for the role I want next, Penetration Tester :twisted:

I'd of thought with your experience anything that exposes you to strategic level would be your best bet as you'd probably go for a Head of IT / IT Director role 8)

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
  5. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

Im actually doing an ILM course at college and i am an affiliate in the ILM i have not received anything about it yet. The course seems not very good as im only doing a level 2 course in enterprise.

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  6. Kitkatninja

Na that's ok :biggrin

Cool, let us know how you get on with the CEH.

Well that's what I'm aiming for, part of my role already includes strategic planning of IT, so it's also building on that :)

-Ken

7. Kitkatninja

Everyone has to start somewhere :)

-Ken

8. JK2447

Will do mate. I've got my Security+ next week then I'll get cracking with the CEH :biggrin Can't wait!

9. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  10. Kitkatninja

I did look into the CMI, however as currently I'm not aiming for Chartered status as a manager, I wanted to gauge first the professional memberships for management plus the ILM fees are less :)

I am looking to do a Master level degree/post grad qual, regardless of whether it's a MBA, MSc, MA, PGCert or PGDip. However that won't be for a couple of years, those courses aren't cheap...

-Ken

11. Kitkatninja

What do you guys think of the PTTLLS (Preparing to Teach in the Lifelong Learning Sector, pronouced "Petals")? It's the bare minimum qualification you have to have now in order to teach LSC funded programmes even if working for a private training provider.

As I use to be a trainer/tutor at the local college for over 2 years (part-time), this may be a viable alternative for me if something happened/I moved across to another field of IT, etc...

-Ken