processors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by craigalanwilliams, Aug 31, 2005.

1. craigalanwilliams

craigalanwilliams New Member

hello all, just a simple question, does the sempron use the same mainboard as athlon ect???

WIP: A+ N+
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Hi, and welcome to CF.

Try looking here to find out more information about the sempron Processor

As far as I know though they have different 'pin-outs' so they will need different Motherboards. I could be worng though.

8)

3. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

there are Mobos out there that can take both Semprons and Athlons, I have built a few PCs using the new Semprons and the Mobos I bought were the ones that also took Athlons...if u have a mobo thats about a year old it will take Semprons providing you flash the BIOS update first which will allow you to use Semprons...hope this helps...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Does that mean that they have the same pin outs?

I thought that the Athlon was asocket 939 and the sempron a 754 or something simillar?

5. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

hold on r u talking about the 64 CPUs or the normal ones? cos if its the 64 ones then u will need to check the mobo itself...altho saying that they do the Athlon 64s in both 754 and 939...the Semprons use the same pins as the normal Athlon CPUs...they're the ones I am talking about...go to www.ebuyer.co.uk and check out the Processor section...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  6. datarunner

datarunner Byte Poster

Both use either Socket A (Obsolete) or 754 including the new 64 bit Semprons.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP 210, 270, HNC Networking
    WIP: MCSA
  7. craigalanwilliams

craigalanwilliams New Member

so am i correct in saying that the semprom have the same pin config as the athlon? even on the amd website they confuse things by saying the socket a fits in elsewhere? CONFUSED.COM!! :blink

WIP: A+ N+
  8. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

you can get socket A and socket 754 semprons, just as you can get socket A and socket 754 athlons (and socket 939 athlons now too, but no semprons yet)

the socket As are standard 32bit
    the socket 754s are standard 64bit

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0