Processor choice ?

Discussion in 'Polling Station' started by Jakamoko, Nov 8, 2003.

?

Which CPU manufacturer do you prefer ?

1. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. AMD

66.7%
  3. Intel

33.3%
  4. No preference - either

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Just wondering how the Intel v AMD choice pans out amongst you all ?

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  2. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Whichever gives me more bang for my buck when I decide it's time to upgrade, though the stories a while ago of AMD cpus catching light when cooling failed did give me pause for thought :)

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Unfortunately, there wasn't enough room for all of that as one of the options, Phil :P

I'd probably agree, though, in my limited experience of using both. Be interesting to see if anyone comes down firmly on one side or't'other .

<Note to Overseas Visitors: "One side or't'other" ="Either way" :P >

4. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I looked into AMD quite a bit before I got my latest computer.In the end though I stuck with the intel P4.The AMD was tempting but I hadn't really heard enough about it.I'm not one for just going along with the popular choice i.e intel, so I did consider it but stuck with a safe bet, and I've been happy so far with my intel.

More choice can only be good, can't it :?:
    :daz

5. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Ok guys, I think it's time that someone stuck up for AMD.

When I started looking around to build my new machine some 3 years ago, I looked at a range of chips from both intel and AMD. Have always used Intel before I was edging toward the devil you know. However I did look very hard at AMD and did a lot of research nito them and their particular problems. OK they run hotter, need a beefier power supply and you do need to make sure that the fans are running to keep it cool, but I have never had any problems with it and infact built another machine for the kids. You do get more to the £ :D

Andrew

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Don't get me wrong, I was always Intel-based when I was still working with "hand-me-down" gear, but when I bit the bullet to build my own, I opted for AMD.

Hasn't let me down once (I like the Power Management features the mobo for it provides too) and I would deff go with them again.

I agree, though, that AMD prob takes a bit more watching than your sturdy ol' Intel.

7. Cartman

Cartman Byte Poster

Ok, I'm gonna stick up for AMD too. I guess it's like supporting the underdog, but I stuck me neck out and upgraded my PC from 200Mhz (Intel) to AMD K6-III 450Mhz a while back. It was the closest that AMD had got to Intel at that point, but their floating point performance let them down. Undaunted, I upgraded again to the Athlon XP 2200+, and realised that AMD had got the jump on Intel at last. Performance wise, they had got a CPU that REALLY performed and was so much cheaper than the Intel equivalent. Yes they need a bigger power supply, but so what - with an AMD supported case with a 350 Watt PSU for £35 - who's complaining?

AMD all the way!!

8. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I chose AMD, not because of any technical issues, I know nothing about processors, I just went for AMD because they are cheaper.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  9. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Intel for 32bit Desktops (P4800mhz/Prescott)
    Intel for 32bit Servers (Xeon DP and Xeon MP)
    AMD for 64bit Servers (Opteron 200 and 800 series)
    AMD for 64bit Desktop (Opteron 100 series and Athlon FX-51)

this ofcourse may change when Intel get there butts into gear and sort out Itanium 3 or 4 or 5 :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0