problem

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by brun2hilda, Dec 21, 2005.

1. brun2hilda

brun2hilda New Member

I am having problems with how to approach questions.Can any one tell me what to do when a question is asked??? what to do what to consider before answering?????

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

The key thing when answering any type of question is to remember the facts.

With many questions you will find that there is a lot of usless information included with the facts. You must be able to extact the facts from the question. E.g.

John works for company X, he is the network manager. John looks after two servers...............​

Who John is and what he does is irrelevant. That he has two servers is (or could be) useful information to consider when answering.

8)

3. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

Do practice questions- lots and lots of practice questions.

After doing so many questions you'll become aware of the question formats, the popular trick questions and the simulations.

For CCNA the Prep Centre has a complete guide to the exam formats and how to approach answering the questions, as well as practice questions, tutorials and practical sims all for free.

Simon's right about the long winded questions- cut to the chase, but still read each one thoroughly.

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  4. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

It can sometimes be a single word in quite a long winded scenario that is key. I had a practice question for my 70-270 a few days ago to do with deploying XP to several PC's. The question was along the lines of a long scenario, then ... which of the following would you use to achieve this ...

I plumbed for what I definitely though was the right answer (using a RIS server to roll out XP). Of course RIS servers are only available with Windows 2000 Server & 2K3 server, and in the long scenario it mentioned that the server was running NT4, which I skimmed past and it didn't register ...

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I read the long questions and make a note of what I think are the valid points. Take note of things mentioned which seem out of the ordinary, like the company has a department that has Mac users. Those little gems thrown in can point you to the correct answers. Watch out for words thrown in that our eyes tend to skip over. A typical example is chose all that *don't* apply.

Before you read the question, skim over the available answers. Then when you are reading the question something might click that makes a sentence worth reading more slowly.

If you are not sure, do not chose the answer. If you guess you will get it wrong, or at least that always happens when I am not 100% sure.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I haven't done any Cisco, but I've done quite a few MS.
    I'd go with what Bluerinse said and read the answers first. They are usually much shorter than the question and may help you focus on the relevant facts, for example if all the answers mention security, then you can pick out the bits of the question that could be security related.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD