Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Morne Louw, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Morne Louw

Morne Louw Byte Poster

Hi guys i have a comp that wont start up the cpu and case fans briefly spin but that is it there are no beeps no lights (except the power one briefly) and nothing else i have checked all cables are where they should be took out all unnecessary hardware components still the same problem still nothing (except the fans)

any suggestions as to what the problem might be i think it is either mobo or memory or processor but i cant remember much of my a+ i dont know if the fact that the fans spin means the mobo is alright.

Certifications: ECDL, OCN Level 2 HTML, A+,MCDST,70-270
    WIP: MCSA/MCSE
  2. Morne Louw

Morne Louw Byte Poster

bump !!!

3. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Could be the PSU??

Although you still have power, it may not be the correct voltage.

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  4. Morne Louw

Morne Louw Byte Poster

thanks man i had a suspicion that might be it i will change them out tomorrow and see if it works

5. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Your welcome!:biggrin

Process of elimination mate! Although you mentioned Memory you would normally hear a audio warning, unless the speaker is unplugged:biggrin

The other thing to check is the pins on the CPU? Make sure they are not bent or that the CPU is seated correctly.

6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

It is most likely the PSU.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. ManicMonkey

ManicMonkey Kilobyte Poster

Its extreme but have you considered taking everything out of the case, placing the motherboard on a static free mat installing a single stick of ram, the cpu , a single hard drive and the PSU and boot up.

I have seen numerous problems that are actually a combination of PSU dying so not giving enough power out to support the equipment installed and the motherboard shorting on the screws that attach it to the case.

If it boots up on a static free mat then its probably the case shorting the motherboard. If not then it could be the PSU, but at least you d know the case is ok :)

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: Exchange, Share point - MOM as well
  8. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

sounds like the PSU with an outside chance of the mobo. have you tried resetting the cmos ?

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  9. Morne Louw

Morne Louw Byte Poster

i checked the processor pins cause i thought it might be that i will be going to swap the psu out with a known good today we will see what happens then. I also already tried taking all unnecessary stuff out didnt try taking the mobo out but will try that if the psu doesnt solve the problem

thanks for all your help guys i will get back to you with the results

10. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I had that same issue. It was the PSU in my case. When I plugged in the power no fans were working, the machine never came on. The only thing that got the power was my motherboard nothing else.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  11. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

Ive had a similar problem yesterday. Apparently some new boards are supposed to boot to a fan check and then reboot. The problem with mine was incompatible dual channel memory (OZC), so I swapped them for Giel and everything was OK. (actually, I now cant install the OS but thats another story)

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)
  12. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Nothing I can add as I think it's the PSU as well, but as far as computer problem troubleshooting, consider Occam's Razor. All things being equal, the simplest explanation is usually the correct one. If you don't even get to POST, and the fans only spin up for a moment, it most likely is a power issue.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  13. Morne Louw

Morne Louw Byte Poster

well thanks for your advice guys figured out that it was actually the processor that was bust took it out and everthing powered up fine (except for there being no processor) just one question is there any equivalent to a socket a amd sempron 2500 that is available to buy as i have only found 2 second hand ones on ebay

14. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Have you tried Amazon.co.uk?

AMD Sempron 2400+

8)

15. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yikes! For that price, you could buy an amazingly fast C2D. :ohmy

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  16. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Without a processor? What exactly do you mean by powered up? :blink

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  17. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

It may just be me, but im not sure you can say it was the procesor just because you removed it from the board mate!!

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)
  18. Morne Louw

Morne Louw Byte Poster

fans keep spinning lights stay on etc. it is definitely the processor cause nothing happens as soon as i put it in the fans do about half a turn then that is it.

19. Morne Louw

Morne Louw Byte Poster

i think i can if i have checked every other component it is definitely not the power supply cause i tested with a known good and it still did not work took everything out of the mother board and hey presto every thing lights up and fans keep spinning on the power supply and the mother board start putting in one by one each component first the ram still kicks up lights on fans running put the various pci components in same result put hard drives in same result put the processor in and guess what dead as a doornail.