Problem with Word 2003

Discussion in 'Software' started by philbenson, Sep 2, 2005.

1. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

For some time now I have had a problem deleting highlighted text in Word using the Backspace key. I highlight a block of text, press the key, and all that happens is that the cursor moves to the start of the block of text, leaving the text as it was.

If I use the Delete key instead, no problems. My highlighted text is gone! If I use Notepad, Wordpad or any app apart from Word, the Backspace key behaves normally.

I have uninstalled Office 2003 and re-installed it but the problem remains. The next logical step is to 'nuke' the hard drive and re=install Windows but that seems a little drastic if there is an alternative solution. Suggestions please! Is this a case of a corrupted dll file(s) somewhere in the system.

Certifications: MCP, MCP+I, MCSE, MCSA, MCTS
    WIP: CCNA(?)
  2. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

go to tools > options > edit, and make sure the "typing replaces selection" option is ticked.

3. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

Many thanks for that. Will try it later when I get back home. I've just tried it on the PC I'm using at the moment and it would seem to do the trick. It's amazing how you learn these things isn't!

I've been using Word for ten years now and I've never yet met a situation where this Typing replaces Selection could be useful. What's the point of it?

Certifications: MCP, MCP+I, MCSE, MCSA, MCTS
    WIP: CCNA(?)