Problem with USB extension Cable!!!???

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by hoss6800, Sep 3, 2007.

1. hoss6800

hoss6800 Bit Poster

Hi,
    I have been using TalkTalk for more than a year now. I have a sagem800 modem which has a USB outlet. I was using a USB extension cable which had a repeater built into it to be able to use my laptop at my desk. The speed of my connection was 2.3Mbps and I didn't have any problem at all.
    About two weeks ago TalkTalk did some changes to the cables in our area and that resulted in having a faster connection (8.2 Mbps).
    Since then if I connect my laptop to the modem directly (without using the extension cable) I have no problem at all. But when I use the extension cable I can't connect to the Internet. After that when I remove the Usb extension cable from the Laptop USB port, I get a BLUE PAGE explainig that there is a bad Pool ..
    Then It suggest that there might be a software or hardware that is not installed properly.
    As far as I know repeaters are functioning on the phiscal layer and no sofware is needed for them to work.
    I even bought a new cable, thinking that it might be the extension cables fault, but it is still the same.
    Every now and then when I connect the extension cable, the OS tries to install a Generic Hub.
    I phoned TalkTalk several times and they have not been able to help.
    I was wondering If anyone knows anything about this problem and could give me some advice.
    Thanks in advance.
    hoss

Certifications: N+
    WIP: CCNA
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Talktalk (or any ISP) will be unable to help here, as this is local to you. Extending USB is always fraught with problems.

In this situation I'd suggest replacing the modem with a router/modem (cost less than £40 these days) and connect with ethernet.

Ethernet is *always* more reliable than USB, especialy over distance.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

yeah don't use USB it's not good.

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  4. ManicMonkey

ManicMonkey Kilobyte Poster

USB is really only good for things like external storage decives (short distance) local printer connections, camera connections etc..

Networking is unreliable over usb.

Besides if you have a eithernet connection your gonna get 10/100 mb speed :)

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: Exchange, Share point - MOM as well
  5. hoss6800

hoss6800 Bit Poster

hello,
    and thanks for your replies,
    The only reason that I have been using USB is because the modem I have been provided by my ISP has only one USB outlet. To be fair I didn't have any problem before, although i am a heavy user.
    I am thinking about buying a router, but Just wanted to know If anyone knew about this problem.

Thanks anyway

Certifications: N+
    WIP: CCNA