Problem with Global Address List

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Sparky, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Hi guys, hope you can help me with this one.

I added two user accounts to a Windows 2003 domain in AD (as you do) and put them into the relevant security groups. I then phoned the new users and got them to log in and set up their Outlook accounts and I thought that was the end of it but no!

I got a phone call yesterday from the MD of the company saying that the new users do not appear in the Global Address list for some reason. They only do if he selects ‘all users’ in Outlook. I had a look in Outlook web mail and the two users were in the Global address list, weird! Out of hours I restarted the Exchange services and got a user to log on, no joy. Then I rebooted the server and got the user to log back on and the new users appeared, joy! The problem is that a change was made to the name of a distribution group and this has not propagated onto the client PCs\Laptops.

Has anyone had any problem with the Global Address list not propagating on client machines? The basic setup is a Windows 2003 DC \ Windows 2003 Exchange Server with 25 clients all in the same building. I’m thinking it might be something to do with Outlook 2003 running in cached mode (some of the users have laptops) but if anyone can give me some pointers there are some more virtual beers available! 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Sparky

I think that if your using Cached mode then the GAL is the same as the offline address list, so check that as well

Here's a LINKY

Hope that helps

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  3. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

the oab is usually created once a day, early morning. try a rebuild on the server (if necessary), and then download in outlook, making sure you disable the option "download changes since...", forcing it to do a full download.

if the users don't appear in the gal at all, not even in the gal on the server, then there is a misconfig in the account. usually it's the email address on the general tab that is different from the one in the email addresses tab.

4. Sparky

Thanks guys. :biggrin

I will try and connect to the server later on today and try the fix. Its one of those days when I have to be in 10 places at the same time! :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  5. Sparky

After looking on the server it appears that the MD decided to log onto the server and change the name of a mail-enabled security group. He had only changed the name and had not changed the email address. I don’t know why he did that without contacting us (IT support).

Isn’t having a user working on a server every IT guy’s worst nightmare?? I’m surprised he didn’t get spyware on the server! :biggrin

6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I would say that having a user messing around with your servers, especially Exchange is asking for trouble. Sheesh it worries me when some IT people start mucking around with things without documenting the changes :eek:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. mojorisin

mojorisin Kilobyte Poster

ok he's the MD but why does he have access to the servers ?

only IT Dept have access to our servers

I had a similar problem with users not appearing in the GAL after upgrading from Exchange 2000 to 2003 turns out when we upgraded from 5.5 to 2000 there had been an eval copy of some fax software installed but never pursued and even though this was on a defunct server it only showed when we upgraded to 2003

Weird and a lot of hair pulling went on until i managed to get a copy of the missing dll file in question (thank god for Virtual PC) in recreating my live setup and hey presto it started working again

phew knackered after that :biggrin

WIP: Microsoft 365 Identity and Services MD-100
  8. Sparky

The MD insisted when we put the server in, also he wasn’t happy with the domain administrator password as well so that had to be changed. We are trying to keep on good terms with the guy as the company should be moving offices soon (not enough space) which will mean the IT infrastructure will have to be moved and upgraded for the new staff. Hopefully that should bring in some extra £££ for the consultancy and actual move of the equipment. 8)