problem with cpu upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by misanthrope, Jan 17, 2009.

1. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

you are going way over the top on your power requirements,the poster is using the same hardware that i use on much lesser power supplies.

here are my pcs,both shuttle pcs.

computer 1: pentium 3ghz prescott using a 200 watt power supply
    computer 2: pentium 3.2 ghz northwood with a nvidia 6200 graphics card using a 250 watt power supply [no problems in the last 4 to 5 years with this set up]

so this is not a power supply problem.

You do know that the nvidia 6200 graphic card barely uses any power at all?,on idle it uses 20 watts,while running a game under full load it uses 27 watts.

I know it is easy to start thinking eveveryone in the uk suddenly needs 600 to 1000 watt power supplies because they have become fashionable,but the reality is you buy or use what you need.If you don't have a good graphics card your power requirements fall for a start.

It's an old pc using a bottom of the range graphic card,5 years ago we were using 300 and 400 watt power supplies as standard,and that pc is of that age.

As well as running a nvidia card on the 250 watts i can run a couple of large capacity sata hard drives,a dvd rewriter,an add in card,tv card for example,and usb devices.

I can also run 2 hard drives on the 200 watt pc.Shuttle don't tend to go over 300 watts for their pcs,one of the latest model is using 150 watts.Even for blu ray designs they are using 300 watts.

The first thing you look at,if you are completely unable to even get to the bios screen was the bios upgrade even successfull?
    I'd start again with the old cpu get the machine running normally again.

Here are the results i used to find when i'd put in a high speed cpu into a motherboard which didn't immediately support the higher speed.

I'd fit the high speed chip,the pc would do nothing at all when i powered it on,it was as if the pc was dead,no display screen,nothing, there may have been beeps,i can't remember.

I then go back, fit the original processor,do a bios upgrade,refit the high speed chip everything is fine,boots normally,no issues.

I've never heard of a scenario where you will get beeps because the power supply has a low watts rating,or is inadequate.
    And as i mentioned your power supply is more than adequate in the first place.

you get beeps for memory issues [no ram detected]
    overheating
    video card problems,card not sitting properly.

Certifications: A+ and MCDST 70-271
    WIP: mcdst 272