Problem Team Leader

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by daft_togger, Mar 28, 2009.

1. daft_togger

daft_togger Nibble Poster

What do you do when you have a team leader who would rather not have you in his team?

Anyone had a similar problem, with a TL who has been promoted from within the team and not been savvy enough to recognise that a different approach is required, professionalism, maturity etc.

Mine treats people like software.....input some variables, and hit execute....expected result....problem is people do not work like that.

Part of his problem with me, is my coming to his team with very little technical skill (but this is something I'm rectifying now with my certification exams).

You just know when someone does not like you....fine if they are a peer, you can ignore them....but not so good when it's the guy who does your appraisals....

I've tried to reason with him, explain how his management style affects me. But instead of helping the situation, he's shown nothing but contempt and continued with his clear unease at having to manage me against his best wishes !!!

The company I work for does a leaders program and all people managers must do the course and pass an assessment.....well my TL failed his......but he's still a people manager !!!

Certifications: 70-290, 70-620
    WIP: 70-291
  2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Bad leaders don't last long, it's something you can't really fake. If he's a bad leader I am sure you're not the only one who feels that way. If other peers feel the same way, they probably don't want to voice their opinion do to the fear of either losing their job or getting on the bad side of the leader.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I'd grin and bear and keep working hard at getting better and efficient with your daily task and workload. Unfortunately, some managers are not a leader but just happen by chance to land a managerial role.

Best wishes and don't let him get to you by he's leadership style:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  4. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Mate, one of the worst things in any company is that most often than not 'Jonny' who was an amazing Helpdesk Analyst, Bricklayer, Customer Services Assistant, Cleaner, Architect etc is then made into Management as he was great at his job.

No one, should ever be made into a Team Leader or Manager because they are good at there job, they should be made one because they have People Management Skills, Abilty To Motivate, Abilty To Lead, Abilty To Get Things Done, Ability To Performance Manage, Financial Skills, Ability To Run Budgets, Meet Deadlines etc.

Sorry to rant a bit, but it is one of my pet peeves, lets put a crap load of people in charge who have no idea.

Oh best advice, ignore them and get the job done. Even be nice to them and make them a cup of tea, basically get them off your back and life will become a little more comfortable.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  5. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  6. bootneck1

bootneck1 Bit Poster

I agree with the above, i use to be a cpl in the marines, and if anyone had a problem with me i would give my team (6 man team) the chance to speak up, or talk one to one. After all i had to lead them to combat, and i would want them to give it their all, but its kinda the same situation near enough

Can you speak to anyone higher in the ranks and let your problem know, cause by the sound of it, (i could be wrong) but nowadays that is bullying of some sort, and if he is trying to push you to one side he is not getting the full poential outta his team and therefore is not a good team leader.

Hope this helps

Certifications: SDH, PONS,AIR BLOWN FIBER SYSTEMS
  7. Pheonicks56

Pheonicks56 Kilobyte Poster

This happens all the time every where in the world. Coming from the Navy I had to deal with my fair share of bad leaders. The best way to deal with this sort of situation is to work your behind off, make them look good and do it with a smile on your face. Even if your immediate supervisor who is the jerk you say he is doesn't care/notice, others around you will along with other levels of management. If you can't get other management to notice your hard efforts then start edging your way into the spotlight over time, head up a new volunteer program, basically in the navy we had two ways of doing this. Divisional collateral duties and shipwide collateral duties. Divisional you took over the training for your immediate workgroup or maybe ordering repair parts, ship wide/company wide you would head up an Morale Welfare and Recreational event like a pot luck or maybe start an initiative for a charity. Get involved and get noticed, this will get you out from under the ding bat you work for.

Certifications: BSIT, AAIT, A+
    WIP: Network+
  8. Daniel

Daniel Byte Poster

Is he one of these guys who when they die they're ego's will be donated for scientific research into how a complete idiot's mind works?

You know the type, Mobilephone Salesmen, who wear suits with thick gel in they're hair thinking they're the 'biz'.

All talk, no balls.

And as soon as something goes wrong within your team (if it does), I bet you he blames you guys and where credit is due, he takes the glory.

I'm another person who loathe these type of people.

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: None, but learning SEO/SEM
  9. Riaz

Riaz Bit Poster

keep working hard at what you are doing and try to improve yrself. dont let him get to you, thats all you can do at this stage...good luck.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, MCP (70-270)
    WIP: CIW Web Design
  10. bootneck1

bootneck1 Bit Poster

Go in there, whack him one, grab the girl , kiss her, say meet me for supper, and leave in a blaze of glory:D

Certifications: SDH, PONS,AIR BLOWN FIBER SYSTEMS
  11. Daniel

Daniel Byte Poster

LOL

If only it were that simple 8]

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: None, but learning SEO/SEM
  12. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

What are the other guys\gals in your team saying about this? Do they all think the same way as you?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  13. daft_togger

Thanks for all the great advice, some sound suggestions there.

I too have some military experience (4 Para - TA Parachute Regiment) and in that mob, if you had a problem with say a superior, depending on what rank of course, you could get away will calling him an F'ing tw**....and tell him straight he's doing things wrong.

But in civvy street, you just get sacked for handling your issues directly like that. Problem is, I find it hard to bite my bottom lip when I'm being mistreated - I have an over whelming urge to fight back, but know this is the path to making things worse...you can choose your friends and all that....but at work you need to learn to work with others....

Unfortunately I think the advice of working by butt off and getting noticed by team mates and other managers around my team leader is the only solution as I don't think this Team Leader will be moving on any time soon the way jobs are at the moment.

He is actually very very good at the technical stuff, and manages his tasks as team lead very well and can cope with a high work load. It's just the people skills bit that is missing, and he's a bit immature with regard to these responsibilities.......

Again, thanks chaps, good advice there.

14. daft_togger

Yes, they do, I don't think anyone in the team think he's a good team leader, but they are all senior analysts who prity much manage their own work streams and can work daily without too much interaction with him.

However me being the junior, I rely on more work being passed my way.....his attitude however is, what can I give you, you have little technical skill......so he gives me the numpty work that a trained monkey could do......how am I meant to improve that way !!

So, what I am going to do is take the advice here, work hard....come up with work myself and continue down the certification path...MCSA 03 then onto MCITP for 2008 certification.....by that time if he or I have not moved on, I'll start looking externally and in tandem hopefully the market will at least be back on the path of recovery.

Cheers

15. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Either kiss his arse or leave. Simple as really. And don't be taken in by the "recovery" bollox, after 10 years of credit abuse things are now returning to normal. There will be a "correction" but no "recovery".

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  16. demarrer

demarrer Byte Poster

I had a similar situation and tried to work harder, come in earlier/leave later etc, however it was never enough. I then decided it was time to start polishing my CV and start looking for a new job working for a company/boss where your skills/input are more appriciated. I felt I didn't have any more time to waste working for such a boss.

However, if this TL is bullying you, this is a serious matter. No-one has the right to bully you at work. You can start taking notes of when this is happening to you, especially for example, if he starts to take responsbilities away from you without good reason, you can use this evidence to make a written complaint against him if necessary. Check out what the citizen's advice bureau have to say about respect and dignity at work.

Sorry you are in this situation - it's a tricky one, but it sounds like you are motivated to keep developing yourself with the certs! Nice one. :)

Certifications: A+, Security +, CCNA, CCSA
    WIP: music, (dreaming of) CCIE Security :D
  17. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

There's only one problem with this...

...technical skill isn't gained by taking certification exams.

Certainly you can learn a lot of theoretical knowledge by studying for certification exams... but you will still lack the experience required to properly apply that theoretical knowledge. On the IT "battlefield", if you're put into an advanced situation without first having the real-world experience to deal with it, you could be a liability rather than an asset. And... it's very likely that your team leader realizes this.

Sorry, man, I know that's not what you want to hear. But this is exactly why most of us recommend taking your career one step at a time, building experience along the way. Otherwise, you could end up way over your head... which is unfortunately where you are today.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!