problem booting xp from CD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by misanthrope, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Proves your XP CD and CD drive are ok but your HDD isn't working correctly.

Sounds like there's possibly something superseeding your boot order. Maybe there is a setting in your BIOS to disable this. The only setting you need is that either your floppy drive (if you're using the six disc floppy set to install XP) or your XP CD is set to first boot device. Have a dig around and see what you can find. You want the hard-drive connected during this so you can format it when you get to the pre-install stage.

If you wish to provide me with the MOBO model then I'll have a look around too.

Keep us informed.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  2. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Have you checked the jumpers on the HDD?

Sometimes it is required that you set them to 'master' position on there...or sometimes that fails and you are required to set them to 'automatic'

(sorry if you've already done all that - not had time to read the post properly!!)

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  3. Qs

The BIOS should dictate in which order the devices are booted to. If the CD and Floppy drives are above the Hard-Drive then it doesn't matter what the jumper is set to.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  4. misanthrope

misanthrope Bit Poster

it's a gigabyte GA-8I848P-G.

i've set-up boot sequence before (not this system though) & never had an issue. i'm going to try another HDD.

i formatted this in disk management before installation on a 64bit system. would that make any difference?

5. Qs

I bet it will work with the new HDD. If you like you can install the HDD that was giving you the issue as a slave once you have your OS up and running on your second drive and format it through windows - it sounds like the drive that was giving you issues wasn't properly formatted.

Qs

6. misanthrope

misanthrope Bit Poster

"I bet it will work with the new HDD. If you like you can install the HDD that was giving you the issue as a slave once you have your OS up and running on your second drive and format it through windows - it sounds like the drive that was giving you issues wasn't properly formatted."

well you're right.

i had a 80gb slave on my main pc & a part system i bought came with a 120gb HDD, so of course i wanted that for bigger space for master backups. i reformatted the 80gb one & then intended to install it on the lesser system. now i've just had to swap them back again wasting 4hrs of my time.

thanks for the help, have some rep.

7. Qs

Glad I was able to help :)

Qs