Probation

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Jaron78, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

I started at my current role in September, with the probation period up 7th Dec. Everything seems to be going well and everyone seems happy. My line manager says I have nothing to worry about and he will pop down from Leeds next week for a quick catch up.

My question being:
    • Is it too soon to request a learning plan? I know that the company does sponsored Education and training so I would like to do the Network+ and Linux+ seeing as they are technologies that I deal with,
    • Is it also too soon to request or work on a career plan with them? Don't get me wrong, I like my job and enjoy it but I want to do more, and earn more in all honesty.
    Would it be too soon to put these forward or give it a few months first?

Thanks

2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Don't break the law you'll end up back in the slammer ! :D

3. krrishone

krrishone Bit Poster

Companies normally have mid-year / annual reviews with employees, that is one of the best times to discuss career/training plan.

I would personally give it few months before approaching manager, do not want to come across too keen. Focusing on the basic and essential tasks within the job role is the key at first.

However it also depends on the manager and employer, they may have a positive attitude towards developing people.

4. crazy horse

crazy horse Byte Poster

Hello, I always look to have a development plan in place as soon as someone new starts. Initially, this is pretty straight forward: learn the key aspects for your new role but will also include any gaps identified from the interview process. This essentially means after 3 months there's already a set of things that can be captured as learning. Post that point, both parties should have a good idea of what technical aspects need developing and an action plan from there.

If you don't already have a development plan, I'd start one yourself, giving clear actions and milestones. You can then share this with your manager and talk through how they can help. Depending on the company they might pay for training courses or time to self study etc and it shows them that you are keen.