Private and public sector

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by nisseki, Aug 20, 2018.

1. nisseki

nisseki Byte Poster

Hey guys

I hope you're well.

I was wondering if anyone here have worked both in private and public sector and what are your experiences and thoughts?

I cuirrently work in public as a contactor, before the IR35 I had a limited company and the pay was excellent but now after the IR35 I am with an umbrella company which has decreased my income pay.

I have been thinking for a while now to go back to private as a permie but has anyone worked perm for public before? Good or was it bad? Is private better?

Cheers

2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I refuse to work in the public sector, I also refuse to go perm.

drum_dude likes this.
  3. nisseki

nisseki Byte Poster

How come never the public sector? (unless I drag you kicking and screaming haha)

4. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

I was just reading this thread and the email below arrived, I've highlighted the typical public sector bit in red...lol

Hi drum_dude,

Are you open to new opportunities?

I'm recruiting for a large public sector organisation who are looking for a Infrastructure Engineer to be based in either Maidstone or Chelmsford. please find details below:

Length: Project is likely to run 2-3 years
    Rate: £17-£19ph but extremely interested in seeing candidates at a higher rate (please state rate if higher)

This is an exciting opportunity to modernise the organisations infrastructure using cutting edge technology. We are looking experienced server & infrastructure engineers.

This is a challenging role that requires you to be able to design, implement and support server, storage and related infrastructure services. The server and infrastructure team cover the full server lifecycle from physical hardware to the backup and recovery services. This includes support of ther physical datacentres, hosting of the key services (physical and virtual) and their associated storage, provision of core infrastructure services such as DNS/DHCP, together with the hosting capacity for all application, web, and database services across both Windows Server and Redhat Enterprise Linux operating platforms.

If you are interested in this position please send your up to date CV and I will give you a call.

Kind regards,

A_Recruiter

Err...no.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  5. nisseki

nisseki Byte Poster

Is that a contract position? It's even worse now. If you have a limited company your invoices get taxed at the source.

If you went with an umbrella company at £19 per hour you will probably only get £400 a week after taxes and other reductions...

drum_dude likes this.
  6. drum_dude

Looks like it. Not sure who they'll get for that hourly rate. Many get round this IR35 stuff using 3rd party providers, certainly that's what I was told for a Parliament gig, which I turned down.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
  7. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I'm a contractor, which means I work for the highest bidder and most rewarding roles.

1. Public sector pays poorly (except maybe a few permie perks which I don't get)
    2. They generally can't organise a p!ss up in a brewery
    3. They are full of lifers waiting to die.
    4. The office facilities tend to suck

I could go on but these alone are enough for me.

drum_dude likes this.
  8. nisseki

nisseki Byte Poster

Yeah the facilities suck here. No self service coffee maker with free milk which is understandable due to the funds is public money.

Unless I lived and work for Northamptonshire Council which I hear have been on a shopping spree haha.

drum_dude likes this.
  9. drum_dude

The county council I worked at during my Certforum "early days" was quite good. The building had decent showers, canteen and a couple of newsagents and, not to mention a decent "car" allowance + 2 pay rises per year. Also, anything you worked with, they paid for you to go on IT training. I remember getting training for Netware, Exchange 2003, Windows XP, Active Directory, Windows Server 2003 & ITIL Foundation. Although they did have "lifers" there, they did get things done IT-wise and tended to complete projects very well. We also got free milk and coffee/tea.

I believe it's all a distant memory now. Just about everyone eventually got made redundant when it was all outsourced to HP during 2011-ish. I left in 2007 which I thought was a good time to move to the private sector. Just after I left, they started cutting back on training, pay rises etc.

10. nisseki

nisseki Byte Poster

I also forgot to mention we have no air con too so during the heatwave it was very hot in office.

I have my own fan but because I'm primary on the phones, the wind blows into my mic which is annoying but I can't turn it off or else I will get too hot.