Printer Command Line

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by Mr.Cheeks, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Does anyone know the command to find out the path of a printer in command prompt?

for example to find out the network paths, all you need to type in is

net use

and it brings up the drive and the path. im looking for something similar in command prompt if anyone knows it...

Appreciated.

2. Mr.Cheeks

anybody?

3. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  4. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

How is the printer plugged in/shared?

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  5. Mr.Cheeks

printer is networked... i know you can get the details from printers, but im looking for a easy way for the end user to obtain the details like \\server\share rather telling me what it says in printers, as normally is a long name of location

btw: i have already checked that link, but i'm starting to think there isn't an easy way of doing this as i cant find much info...

6. AJ

is the printer advertised in active directory? If so and you've given the rights for users to install driver then they should be able to install and find printers themselves without the use of the command line

7. Mr.Cheeks

but when they want another printer added, they say they have the path and they read out " hplaserjet 42100 at 4th floor south east monna building server 23421 " thats sooo longwinding to deceipher...

8. AJ

but if they've been added into Active Directory and they have the right permissions, all they need to do is to search for the right printer, right click on it and click connect.

9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Keep in mind that if it's a straight IP printer, then it's likely not shared anywhere.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Is everyone logging onto a Windows domain?

If so can the printers not be setup either from a logon script or group policy? Furthermore as AJ suggests AD can be used to help assist users locate the printer they need. If you give enough detail (in the description of printer) then it should be fairly straight forward.

All this command line jazz reminds me of working with Windows NT domains for some reason! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

If it's a network printer can this not be setup through a printer server?

Or network through the computer attached to the printer if it was attached via a usb or LPT1 lead? So long as that computer is on and not log into windows and the printer has been enabled to share with the hand shown on the printer icon?

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  12. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

13. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

see, we get around this issue here by putting a label on the front of each printer advising the filepath for the server (eg. \\printer-srv1\printer-001), and informing the user that they can use this to install the printer themselves (and how to do it). Worst case scenario is that they note the path and phone us to install it.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  14. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Good idea, we do something like that at work as well accept if it's a network printer we put a label on showing the IP address of that printer. Most printers like the Brother HL5270 DN have network cards installed inside the printer. Unlike some of the old ones which need to be connected through a jetway box.

Has anyone used or come across jetway boxes?

Also we display a lablel showing the name of that printer on the printer server such as office1 or Xray1 etc.:biggrin 8)

15. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

see. all our printers are hosted on print servers, and most of them have network cards. its just easier to host them off a print server and get people to install through the server to use it.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present