Prince2

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Richie1888, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Richie1888

Richie1888 Byte Poster

Hi Guys

I got an email there from a local uni offering discounted materials for study of this.

Has anyone done this course and have any opinions or advice about it ?

Im really just wondering if this might be a worthwhile change of direction within IT

Cheers

Richie :D

Certifications: See Sig
    WIP: Security+
  2. BrizoH

BrizoH Byte Poster

Hi Richie,

I haven't done it yet but am planning to later in the year - I've actually been looking around to see the best prices for the 5 day Practitioner course. Best I can find at the moment is £950 ex VAT with a company called The Knowledge Academy

Be interested to know if anyone has used them, or any other providers in Scotland (and what kind of deal you got from them? :))

What uni where you looking at?

Certifications: CCNA, CCNA Security
    WIP: CCNP
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I've done it.
    I think that the practitioner qualification can be a handy thing to have on your CV.
    Not every company will adopt a Prince methodology, but then some do - especially in the public sector.

Unfortunately it's like so many IT certs. Not much use without experience, but how can you get experience working on a Prince2 project without knowing anything about Prince?

I did the 5 day course which seems to be the norm. It seems to be 3 days for foundation, a further day of study and then the practitioner exam on the last day. So really it's only just over 4 days. £1,000 seems about average.

I wouldn't get all strung up over study materials. The only thing you need to grasp for the exam is the OGC manual which costs about £60 but is usually included on the course.

I think if you actually wanted to implement your first Prince project or embed it in your organization then a bit of further reading might be a good idea, but not for the exams. All they care about is what happens and when, and who is responsible. There are no 'why's' or 'how's'.

Where you do the course is pretty immaterial. Most places seem to sub-contract the training out to one of a few companies, so you'll get pretty much the same wherever you go.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD