Presumed Consent

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Fergal1982, Nov 17, 2008.

1. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

It's for this reason (lazy and apathetic people) that they are making it opt out. Let's say for example that 15% feel strongly enough that they have signed up to be a donor. 15% are vehemently opposed to the idea. The other 70% are okay with the idea but are lazy and haven't done anything about it.

So, if someone needs an organ now there is only definate 15% willing to help out. If the law gets passed then there is a theoretical 100% donor base. So, the 15% that are opposed will also opt out and lets say that another 10% are also motivated to opt out. Now the organ donor base has increased from 15% to 75%.

Not much of a difference now?

Since when did any government have the right to decide about what happens to my body? My body is my body, end of story. For any government to pass a law like this is really taking us back into the time of slavery. No one owns my body except me and therefore I say what happens to it.

Well, I'd like that to happen before I die but I think we're getting off topic.:twisted:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  2. Markyboyt

Markyboyt Kilobyte Poster

Your reply perfectly illustrates my point Nugget.

Would opt out not give you the right to decide still?
    Nobody is being forced to do anything and nobody is losing any rights at all so how can it be going back to slavery?

WIP: A+
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Not if you don't know that the opportunity to opt out exists. Therefore, it should not be presumed that you've automatically given consent if you haven't specifically denied consent. There should be a presumption of NO consent unless consent has specifically been granted... particularly with an issue that is important to a lot of people.

Personally, I don't care what they do with my organs when I die... but I realize that it IS an issue for some people and with some religions. I shouldn't HAVE to tell someone to keep their hands off my dead body.

So, Marky, what happens if I die, and they can't find my opt-out preference (due to data-entry error or some other anomaly)? They'd assume that I didn't care enough to opt-out, and they'd start harvesting, even though I specifically told them not to. Organ harvesting isn't something that, once done, can be undone... or verified with the original party. Why not err towards the side of caution?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!