Preparing for a payrise/promotion

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Waria Ahmed, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

*Cough* Hate to contradict you there im afraid.

However it comes down to fair as BM mentioned. If you believe you are worth more than your salary for the job you are doing, and the market supports your claim, then in due course there is no reason not to query after a pay increase. Don't ask for a specific amount, just provide evidence (extra work, etc) to back up your claim, and see where the negotiations take you.

Leaving it 18 months is probably a good idea. Or at the very least until the end of your probation (after all, at the end of probation you could claim you had performed better than expectations, and therefore qualified for more money)

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

you did you certaily mentioned it another thread.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

5k payrise? :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Waria Ahmed

Waria Ahmed Byte Poster

Alright fair enough.. my bad. I apologize!

Didnt mean it the way it came out though. I'll just pop back in here in 2 years and see what my situation/thoughts are :D

Thanks for all the comments guys.

Certifications: See Signature
    WIP: MCITP: Enterprise Administrator
  5. Waria Ahmed

Waria Ahmed Byte Poster

Thought id update... 2 years in, Alot of training, certs and projects later i got a little more than my £5k payrise :)

Too bad im looking for a new job now :(

Certifications: See Signature
    WIP: MCITP: Enterprise Administrator
  6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Ok, don't know how much your salary is, but in this climate a £5k payrise ain't bad...

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Getting a large pay rise in a company that you already work rarely happens... The only time when you can get a pretty nice pay rise is when you switch jobs.. That's what happened to me. But I was happy to get the experience, I needed it to get to where I am today. So sometimes money might not be good, but its only temporary until you get good experience to move on to something better.

Good luck with the job hunt.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA