Preparation for 70-536

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by diog0silva, Jul 4, 2009.

1. diog0silva

diog0silva New Member

Hey.

My name is Diogo, and I'm portuguese. I'm not an expert in English, so please forgive me for any possible mistakes on this message.

I have a degree in Information Systems Management, so I'm not an expert in programming either. Despite, I like to think that I know a few things about programming.

I have build some applications using Visual Studio 2005/2008 (VB.NET), and I also know a few things about ADO.NET. I have recently build an application which manages a SQL Server database. I found it very challenging, and that was an experience I wouldn't mind to do for living.

I bought the "Microsoft Visual Basic 2008 Step By Step" and I read it. Honestly, i didn't find it very difficult to understand, so I though I was ready to another step: certification. So, I bought the Microsoft Self-Paced book. I started to read it and honestly, this one i think it's a little more complicate to understand.

I don't read it all yet because I think I don't have enough knowledge to do it. What I would like to know is what's the best way to prepare myself before reading the book? I mean, is there any book "more complicated" than the VB Step By Step and "less complicated" than the 70-536 preparation book?

Thank you all for your help.

Best regards,
    Diogo Silva

WIP: 70-536
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome :)

While I can't personally comment on the books (I learnt VB 3, 5 & 6, tried VB .Net but didn't get very far), you may want to see here. MSDN has lists of VB .Net books and breaks them down into Beginner and Intermediate Books, as well as Advanced Books :)

Good luck with your studies :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. diog0silva

diog0silva New Member

Thank you for your help.

I saw that list of books, and I'm a little undecided, because both "Beginning Microsoft Visual Basic 2008 - Wrox" and "Mastering Microsoft Visual Basic 2008- Sybex" seem to be very helpful books for what I'm looking for. And there's also the SAMS's book.

In your opinion, which one appears to provide better preparation for the self-paced book I mencioned before?

Thanks again.

Diogo Silva

WIP: 70-536