Preferred Multimedia Applications

Discussion in 'Software' started by simongrahamuk, Feb 8, 2006.

1. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Ok, to cut a long story short I'm now without a home Laptop / PC (I've offloaded it), so I'm using my work laptop at both home and work.

Now, on my home laptop I used to use Intervideo WinDVD for playing my DVDs, unfortunately a my work laptop doesn't support the version that was running. Home laptop was a HP which came free with it.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a multimedia player that will handle all of my mulitmedia needs, i.e. playing music, DVD's, etc?

Windows Media Player annoys me - tries to access the web all of the time.

Real Player is just like Media Player in that it is always wanting to check for updates, etc.

8)

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Try this . While I haven't used it myself it gets good comments from others.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

I always liked Winamp, available at winamp.com

:D

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  4. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

I second VLC. It plays almost anything.

Neall

WIP: A+
  5. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Si you may want to disable WMP from accessing the web everytime you open it. Just go to the options and tell it not to open the Media Guide when u start WMP...like Neall says use VLC and of course there is WinAmp. Of course you could also have PowerDVD for your DVDs...in regards to WMP what version do you have on this laptop? If its WMP 8 then it will be looking for updates as the latest one is 10 and that dont need any updates at all.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  6. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

i use winamp and vlc.

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M