Powershell

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by zxspectrum, Jan 5, 2016.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Just a check up really to see how people are getting along with this.
    I have been flirting with it for about a year now but I have only had one big major job to do with it which was when office 365 was having a licence issue, which was awesome, so I now the potential this has to make my life easier.

I have been doing the videos on Pluralsight and they are good, but i always go back to the learn Powershell in a month of lunches with Don Jones, just for the little bits of extra information, that for me are a must.

I have never worked out why I am like this, my driving instructor said I was just stubborn ha ha.

What Im referring too is when you run the help with any given topic. What I was learning yesterday was what the hell all that gobbledegook meant when it was presented on the screen. For instance....

get-help get-service, when you type that out you are presented with this (sorry for the longwindedness), basically, I am just trying to understand the syntax etc

You get a brief description and then you are presented with this, I will spare you only one of the three that are presented.

get-service [ [ -name ] <string[ ] > ] [ -computername <string[ ]>] [-dependantservices] [-exclude <string[ ] >] [-include <string [ ]> ] [ -requiredservices] [<commonparameters>]

Ok so from what I have picked up so far, the first one -name is an optional parameter, meaning PS wont cry if you dont use it, then moving along to the first <string>[ ] you will see those square brackets, this is meaning that the string will accept multiple values. The we move to the next one, -computername, this is not optional as if you look again at the first parameter -name, you will see that it is displayed [ [ -name] in a set of square brackets.

Now as fascinating as this may or may not be, I find I need to understand that otherwise i am always asking questions then will easily drift off topic and why I am wondering how everyone else is doing, its open to anyone, but some feedback from people who are new to this would be great as I would like to see your way of learning/thinking etc

Ed

PS sorry for the long post

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

I've gotten reasonably good at it, I love the flexibility, although the programming side of things is still a bit beyond me at times without Googling etc.
    Most of my knowledge has come from the MVA, there's a couple of great courses on there that teach the fundamentals and a little beyond with Jeffrey Snover and others

But the best advice I could give someone starting out is just to use it and pay with the ISE.

As an example, These couple lines saved me hours today looking for saving some disk space on servers

$servers = Invoke-Command <Hyper-V Host server name> {get-vm | where {$_.Name -like "*Common bit of text*"} | select Name -ExpandProperty Name}

Invoke-Command $servers {get-windowsfeature | where {$_.InstallState -eq "Available"} | select Name -ExpandProperty Name | Remove-windowsfeature -whatif}

It looks complicated, but it doesn't take long to be able to do this with just a few fundamentals, so really everyone should be using it :D

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  3. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Cheers for the tip Kev

Ill look for that

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680