Possible to pass A+ with just the Meyers book?

Discussion in 'A+' started by jaybee, Aug 26, 2007.

1. jaybee

jaybee New Member

I am a high school IT teacher who wants to pass A+ mainly to get a better grasp of how PCs work. I'm pretty familiar with software, not much with hardware.

1) Is it possible to pass the test just by reading the Meyers book? I get the general concepts OK, but I have a hard time identifying the components that the book mentions because they don't look the same on different motherboards. Should I therefore take a class or get a video so that I will be able to actually see what the components look like?

2) I live in Northampton UK--where is the closest A+ certification class?

3) How helpful are the various training videos?

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I would say it is possible to pass just using the book, but if you dont know what the components look like then maybe a video would be a good thing for you to get.

You could always get a PC from a junk shop or recycling centre so you can see what the parts look like, then you can practice on it .

I would recommend a cheap PC instead of a video, I got one for £30 from a recycling centre

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

I'd agree with green, A+ is entry level so I dont think classes are really needed, grab yourself and old PC you can open up and go through the Meyers book, cant go wrong.

Good luck with it :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I suppose, but nothing takes the place of experience. I believe Meyers states in one part of his book that you should get a screwdriver, open up the case and get to work. In my opinion, that's the best way to learn PC hardware. Just take ESD precautions so you don't fry any of the internal components (and if you don't know what that means, you deffo need the practical experience, mate). :)

-Trip

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I guess I just have to ask:

Why would you even consider wanting an A+ and want to do it with no hands on? The point being, you said you have no experience with hardware now, so how is just reading another book and passing a test without actually working with hardware going to improve your ability to actually work with hardware?

Your weakness is not ever working with hardware. A book and a test can't fill that void. Only working with hardware can fill that void.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Studying the concepts related to the A+ exam is great (and as Freddy stated, actually working with the hardware is MUCH better). That said, why would you want to pay several hundred dollars/pounds to pass the A+ exams? As a teacher, the certifications won't be of much value to you... they're certainly recognized in the IT industry, but outside of that, they're not of much use. So why take the exam? Just to see if you can do it? Sounds like an awfully expensive way to make you feel confident in your abilities...

If you want to find out more about how computers work, do so - that's quite admirable. But is it *really* worth paying a lot of money just to get a certification outside your field?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!