possible job??

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by sas, Sep 7, 2004.

1. sas

sas Bit Poster

Hi

i applied for a helpdesk job..thought that would be the best way to break into the IT world..only thing is i went for a job that is through an agency..should i go for it or try and get one that is through the actuall employer as the last time i spoke to an agency they ignored me(didn't get back to me).

any help/comments/suggestions appreciated guys :biggrin

sas

WIP: Studying for A+
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

if you can get a job through the agency go for it. if you are trying to break into the IT field dont turn down an opportunity just because its through an agency.

as for the agency, they're always the same, the only way to deal with them is to call them at least once a week, and always speak to the same person. it helps them remember you when a suitable position comes along, and it'll eventually annoy them enough to (hopefully) make them actively find a position for you!

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I got a lot of my experience through temp agencies. Getting that first job is always the toughest. Do it anyway you can so you can break into the industry. Good luck.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Best of luck, sas :thumbleft

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Don't give up on the agencies sas, I've had some very poor experiences with them in the past but once they find a job they think they can get you into they won't leave you alone. Nature of the beast, best buds if they think they can earn some money from you. There are some companies who will only deal with an agency if they can't fill a vacancy internaly, pointless ruling yourself out from them.

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  6. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Go for it sas :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  7. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Lots of luck sas :D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  8. r4merlin

r4merlin Nibble Poster

Good luck with it.

Agencies can be a good way of getting a job or at least interviews. I have had good and bad experience with agencies.

One of my biggest frustrations is some of them have absolutely no idea what the jobs involve i.e. recommending jobs that are not suitable, not putting you forward for jobs that are.

However with this above point it can be useful as sometimes even the company does not know what they are looking for.

Another frustration is that sometimes they do just advertise to get some CV's together for future use.

A good agency should not only tell you about the job, but also give you a good guidance as to what the employer is expecting in the interview. They should be able to answer all your questions. I have used 2 agencies that throughly preped me with regards to the interview.

Don't expect just an E-mail to grab there attention, if you are particularly interested in a position follow it up a few hours or a day later to check they received your E-mail. Sometimes Email does go missing. Also they may for whatever reason not bothered reading your E-mail so a phonecall will hopefully ensure they at least look into your details.

And yes agenices can be notorious for not responding, to both E-mails and phonecalls. One day I will compile a list of the bad ones, this could be worth doing so you know which ones are wasting your time.

At the end of the day every agency that takes an interest is a possible job offer, so its always worth letting them at least try for you.

Even if you only get an interview out of it I always view this as good practice.

9. xstormos

xstormos Bit Poster

my current job (IT Support) was found through an agency... Crapish money to start but it goes up fast! 6 months and already on 20-30% more.

Certifications: BTEC ND Computing
    WIP: CCNA/DA
  10. sas

sas Bit Poster

thanks guys...sorry ive not been on in a while...still trying agencies, seems they were just trying to get cv`s in cause when i asked about the job it was a different one fae the ad..anyway still trying, got a application for PC World..and some others so fingers crossed :biggrin

WIP: Studying for A+
  11. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

um i think all bar 1 IT job i have ever had has been through an agency
    not a TEMP agency
    but an IT recruitment agency, they must handle about 90%+ of IT jobs
    so your likely to be stuck with them lol

so far i've had good results from Madison Black, Huxley, Computer People, and a few others i cant for the life of me remember the name of :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0